Eggs in the incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by moxygurl, Aug 24, 2013.

1. moxygurl

moxygurl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2013
    Hi, I currently have 15 Sebright eggs in my incubator with an automatic egg turner and forced air. The problem is, I have no idea how far along these eggs are. My Sebright hen was setting on the group of them up until yesterday when we found her with a broken neck. I've read that you aren't supposed to turn your eggs when they have three days of incubation left, but what happens if they keep turning? All the eggs are in different stages of development so I'd prefer to not take the automatic egg turner out. Any ides as to what could happen if they keep turning?

2. moxygurl

Aug 24, 2013
    I forgot to mention, I know that the most developed eggs are at least two weeks old.

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    you cannot turn the turner off? you would not want it turning when they are hatching. people forget to turn off the turner during the last 3 days, more important not to hurt them.

4. moxygurl

Aug 24, 2013
    I can turn it off, I just would prefer to not turn the auto turner off as I have 18 eggs in my incubator that I'd have to turn by hand. I have 15 Sebrights that are 1-2 1/2 weeks along and 3 Brahma mixes that were just added today. But what will happen if the turner is left on when the chicks start to hatch?

5. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have hear of chicks getting killed, because they cannot get out of the way.

6. chickarooo

chickarooo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    Ok 2 have hatch 1 is hatching and 2 are peeping

7. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by