Eggs in the incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dylanj911, Nov 3, 2014.

1. dylanj911

dylanj911 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    I have 2 fertile eggs in my incubator but i found an egg in the coop today it was new only about an hour old but can it be fertile it was cold because its only 40 degrees out side but can it survive or is there no hope
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    When did you set the other two eggs?

3. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Yes. In fact storage in cooler temps (but not freezing) can help eggs maintain viability longer. It is only after they have begun incubating that you don't want them to go cold. You do not have to put eggs immediately into the incubator. It is best to collect up all you want to set and then put them in all at the same time. If you put in eggs at different times, then you end up with a staggered hatch, which can create a lot of difficulties.

4. dylanj911

Aug 9, 2013
    I Originally set the first eggs 5 days ago

5. dylanj911

Aug 9, 2013
    Thanks for the tip the eggs previously set were set 5 days to 1 week ago

6. Aphrael

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    The problem you'll have if you set this new egg now is that in 2 weeks or so (at day 18 or 19) you'll need to stop turning the eggs that are in there now, increase the humidity, and not open the incubator until they have finished hatching. If you put this new egg in now, then it will still need turned for a few more days and may not lose enough moisture because of the increased humidity.

7. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    In that case I would wait. As Aphrael said stagared hatches can complicate things.

Fertile eggs can be stored for up to a week before they start to lose viability. Lots of people have success with hatching refridgerated eggs!

8. Aphrael

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I have! I've incubated refrigerated eggs several times now, and I haven't noticed any less viability in them than in ones stored at room temp. In fact I just hatched out 5 ducks a few months back from eggs that had been in the fridge at least 2 weeks. I set 6 eggs, but 1 ended up not being fertilized.

@dylanj911 I agree with @TaraBellaBirds , unless there is some pressing reason to set that egg right away, I would wait until the current 2 have finished. If you want to set more as soon as those are done, then you could collect eggs during the last week or so and then set them all together once the hatch is over and the incubator cleaned back out.

9. dylanj911

Aug 9, 2013
    @aphrael Thanks look at my most recent post there is how old the eggs in the incubator are can you tell if so are they in their last week cause then i could put the new egg in

10. Aphrael

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Just posted in your other thread. Your egg looks about right for day 15 to me. I still would not set the new egg until those eggs are done hatching. It looks like those are going good and it would be shame to do anything to throw them off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by