Eggs in the manure box, cracked shells and weird colorings - how much longer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbieschicks, Apr 3, 2012.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I love my four Lavender Orpington girls. They are now 25 weeks old and just started to lay at the beginning of March. Their little pullet eggs are getting bigger by the day. However, they have some quirks that are driving me crazy. Like, someone can't seem to find the nest boxes - instead she's dropping perfectly good eggs in the manure box, on the floor, on the ground, etc. It's like an Easter egg hunt each day! Someone else either hasn't bothered to try the oystershell or is holding out until she feels she absolutely must - because her eggs keeps coming out looking "pipped". Also only one of them has gotten the brown coloring part correct so far. The others are either speckled or darker/lighter then they should be. Or maybe they are alternating who does it "right" each.

I guess it's all part of their bodies learning how to produce an egg. But I'm hoping they figure it out soon. How much longer might I expect this "figuring it out" phase to last?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I still have the occasional egg off the roost into the poop and they have been laying for about a year. I always keep fake eggs in the nest boxes and for the most part they figure it out pretty fast.

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Thank you for that. I figured it may take awhile. I have been using ping pong balls. Today I did get four good brown eggs all laid in the nest boxes. So that was progress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by