Eggs in the mud

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jilara, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a Polish who has only just started to lay. The first three eggs were in one of the nest boxes, then the Big Storm hit. The last two have been laying out in the mud, like she just plopped them there. Do you think she's disoriented? The nest boxes are outside, but the inside is sheltered and dry. The other hens have been laying in the boxes, despite the storm, though their eggs have little muddy footprints! Also, one of the mud eggs had yellowish stuff that looked like yolk on it, which worried me. I'm hoping it was just some weird interaction with the mud, but it didn't look like it.

She's also been hanging around outside, getting wet and muddy. Yesterday, I had to rescue her, because she was stuck in a mud wallow where she was facing into an area that had her head and shoulders constricted by a wall and perch support, but couldn't get enough traction to turn around. I worry about this bird.

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    What if you put the nest boxes inside the coop? Mine are inside my coop and that way my hens can stay dry and warmer when they need to lay. Less mud on the eggs too. [​IMG]

3. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    Unfortunately, all but one are an inherited "hen condo" with twelve boxes in a unit, that attaches to a wall. The coop is about a third the size of it! Hey, the nests were free...

I've actually got the Polish in the bathroom, right now, as she was outside getting wet and muddy, and didn't seem to have the sense to get out of it. She also has a gimpy leg that normally isn't a problem, except in muddy runs. I used the blow-drier on her, since she was pretty soaked. The things we do for our chooks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by