Eggs in the office rant

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Avalon1984, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    So I thought this morning I’d bring some eggs into work so that people could look at them and buy them if they are interested in farm fresh eggs. We have a nice large kitchen and I used different colored eggs, wrote a nice note as to why they are better, even put a little brown feather with the eggs to make it look like fresh off the farm. I come back from break to see that the egg cartons were closed and put aside. So I asked around what happened and why they would have bothered anybody. We bring stuff in all the time and put it on the table. Well, I guess somebody got disgusted by the feather and did not want to sit in the kitchen eating lunch while there was a single clean chicken feather laying on clean eggs in a clean egg carton 15ft away on a table. Told the lady that she better get disgusted by her pillow next time because likely there are dangerous feathers in it. And not to mention, next time she eats her greasy McDonalds food, she better don’t think about the disgusting heritage of that burger. I hate working with naïve people like that. I spend my day explaining that roosters don’t lay eggs and that bees aren’t “disgusting” and that bats are important and also not “disgusting”, and believe it or not, horse poop isn’t as disgusting as people think either. But I work for this GREEN company that wants to make the world a better place and we should all save energy, waste less and be sooooo green….idiots. Well, I’ll just sell my eggs some other place. Excuse me all for trying to provide you some good food where you’ll know where it came from.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Good for you for saying something to her! I think too many people just walk away and don't say anything. Personally, I can never keep my mouth shut anyway! [​IMG]

3. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Me too [​IMG] I am used to some nonsense going on in here but come on, its just a feather, and a beautiful one by the way. Some people even stick those "disgusting" feathers in their hair these days. Tse... I opened the carton back up and put it in the middle of the table, with the feather at it's appropriate place [​IMG]

4. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Two things are working here - Ignornarance and jealousy.

It is totally cool that you are agrarian. (I just learned that word today, thank you.)

People who are different have always spurned hatred which stems from fear.

Laugh it all off!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011
  5. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    One of my friends at work is vegan, and she has a sticker on her car that says "what kind of a - hole eats a lamb?"...first time I saw it, I looked at her, smiled, and raised my hand. She just shook her head and walked away. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Some people are clueless. Sorry that you had to go through that. [​IMG]

7. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Thank you all, it really helped to vent when there are people around who understand. [​IMG] It is just incredibly frustrating to me when I deal with people like that. It may be my age and obvious impatience for ignorance, but has anybody ever, for one second, wondered where all that food is coming from? Are we in a “Do not look behind the green curtain” society? I was completely anti-slaughter when I was younger, in fact I was a vegetarian for 13 years. My husband asked me if I would consider eating meat again and I told him that the only way I would do it is if I would try my best to only eat meats that have been raised and processed humanely, and that I would want to do it myself to make sure it gets done the way I feel is right- or buy from a local farmer. So we learned to process chickens together and it was quite challenging at first but oh so rewarding. But to then have people come up and say it is disgusting to do that, while they are perfectly comfortable eating their Tyson chicken mcnuggets is beyond me. I’d rather eat something I raised with kindness on my own property, whether it’d be eggs or meat. Oh, and I guess my honey is “gross” because it comes out of the bee.

8. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Console yourself knowing that when the zombie apocalypse strikes, people who are offended by things like chicken feathers will be among the first picked off.

*evil grin*

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Yep!! Though everybody at my work says that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, they're all coming to MY house!

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I sold a dozen to someone once and asked them later what they thought (it was their first time eating non-store bought eggs). She said that her kids liked them, but that she was a little grossed out and couldn't eat them. Apparently there was a tiny feather stuck on one of the eggs. [​IMG]
    I think I did say "You do know where eggs come from right? Even the ones at the grocery store come from the same place. It's just that mine aren't bleached." [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by