Eggs in the pond

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ioldanach, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ioldanach

ioldanach Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    My duck started laying her eggs, but a couple have been found in the pond right by the shore. We had some torrential rains for the past few days, so its likely they were laid on the bank and washed into the water.

Are they safe to eat? How long can an egg lay in the water before getting waterlogged?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I don't use them.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I literally fish eggs out of the pond! My duck will lay them right there in the water. Long as know they haven't been there for more then 48 hours we eat them. Really tough shells, never had a water log problem. I think the bloom on a duck egg is different from a chicken's as just for this reason.

4. ioldanach

ioldanach Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    I used one and it was fine, the other is in the fridge waiting for us to collect enough to make a breakfast of. It is set aside, though, and will be cracked separately so I can check the condition of the contents.

5. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

We got lot of broody hens - we have a pretty good handle on what's freshly laid and what's not. But in those instances when we think we missed one for a day or two we do what's called a "bombs away" around our house: we call our hens over and break the egg on the ground. In no time it is totally GONE... They crave the raw egg...
    Just a suggestion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by