Eggs in the pool?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickschool, Jul 31, 2011.

1. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    It seems that one of my ducks is a little confused about where to lay her eggs. For some reason she is laying them in the kiddy pool full of water. Any ideas as to why and how I can get her to stop? Is it just me or is that the weirdest thing anyone has ever heard of.

2. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    My ducks are just starting to lay....and doing it all over. I haven't found one in the pool...yet. I talked to the people at the feed store and they said ducks are not like chickens, and unless they are broody, they won't lay in a nest box. The guy said he has a turkey that will only lay her eggs in a clean bowl of water. [​IMG] And a Pekin that will walk around and drop eggs wherever.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:First time layers lay in the pool all the time! my theory is that the water help to relax and let the egg out. after they are streched a bit they will start dropping them anywhere on dry land and if you are lucky they will pick one spot for a nest.

4. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Good to know. Clearly I don't know that much about ducks but learning more everyday. [​IMG]

5. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Another ridiculous question. [​IMG] What do you do with duck eggs? Eat them? If so what do they taste like?

6. Kaelinstorm

Kaelinstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    Eat them. There is no taste difference. There is a higher fat content and because of this they do very well in quiches and baked goodies to make them fluffier and moister. I eat mine all the time [​IMG]

7. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    We have been eating ours......they are delicious flat fried....a more delicate flavor. When you crack them open, they have a goo-ier texture. I have also heard they are great for baking and make cakes fluffy.

8. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Thanks. I had heard the thing about baked goods thing too.

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Ours lay in the pool every so often, too. I bake a lot & love using duck eggs in baked goods, especially cakes. The cakes usually rise a little more than ones with chicken eggs in them & are richer. We also blow out some of the eggshells for Christmas ornaments.

10. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    just take the pool out for a week and see where she lays.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by