eggs in the snow?!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by farmgirl77, Jan 12, 2011.

1. farmgirl77

farmgirl77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    I can't believe it. One of my BR hens is laying for the first time. Now. In the snow. Does this mean she will not lay later in the spring?

2. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Did you notice any changes in her behavior before she started laying? (For example, squatting? Paying more attention to her Tom?) I guess I better build a nest box for my May-born gals...

3. farmgirl77

farmgirl77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    yes, she has been breeding with the tom for a few weeks. These are May-born birds, too.

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Just keep picking the eggs up, she'll keep laying. If you get to the eggs before they freeze you can always try them in the incubator, though the early eggs aren't always fertile (daylight length also affects a toms fertility).

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Anybody from ND has to know about freezing. lol

Steve

6. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    [​IMG]

I would agree that a breeder from North Dakota would or at least should know about freezing.

7. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    How cold does it have to be for it to affecct the eggs hatchability? I am getting an average of 3 turkey eggs a day and they all look to have a bullseye when I break one open. Sadly, I had some in the incubtor and not one of them developed. I really want to hatch some since I have a couiple really old hens that will probably not be around much longer.

I forgot to mention that my chickens in the same area are laying and I have hatched 12 chicks in the last month or so and have 3 more in the incubator now that are looking good.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Are you using the same incubator and are the turkeys laying in a house/nest or dropping them on the ground?

Steve

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  9. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    I have separate incubators and they are laying some in a nest and some on the floor in the sawdust. Both chickens and turkeys.

10. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I did hear once of somebody who had turkey eggs in the refrigerator and gave some to a friend for eating. The friend set them in an incubator instead and if I recall had a pretty good hatch rate. If you look at mother nature, wild turkey hens start laying pretty early in the year and leave the nest until they have enough eggs, then start setting. If the size of the clutch is any indication, they have a pretty good hatch rate, too. So I think they can handle pretty cold temps as long as they don't actually freeze. If they freeze, they split open. Maybe try a few in the incubator with the chicken eggs or try starting them under a broody hen? If the eggs appear to be fertile, maybe it's the incubator? How long were they in there? Keep in mind that turkey eggs take 28 days vs the 21 for chickens and the shells are harder to see into, so it may take a little longer before you see development.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by