Eggs in the Winter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LN2008, Nov 18, 2011.

1. LN2008

LN2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    I've read that some breeds don't lay in the winter. Any ideas as to which they are? My girls are at 21-22 weeks and I'm waiting for my first few eggs, but I'm scared that since it's Nov and I live in Kansas, I may be waiting a whole lot longer.

2. sadies0111

sadies0111 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    I got my 4 hens last fall, and I thought they wouldn't start laying until later spring because of the lack of sunshine here in Wisconsin...they started laying in February/March, and went strong all through summer. They are now molting, but I'm still getting an egg or two a day. I'm curious to see how they lay once molting is over.

3. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    You didn't state which breeds you have in your flock. I have 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks, 2 White Plymouth Rocks, 2 Welsummers and 2 Jersey Giants. My BPRs and WPRs turned 20 weeks two weeks ago and have started laying right on schedule. I'm getting 1 - 2 eggs a day from the four of them. I'm not an expert but figure that is OK for the age of the pullets and the fact that it is November (we're next-door in Colorado). My Welsummers and Jersey Giants are not laying yet, but it is my understanding that the Welsummers may be another few weeks and the Jersey Giants even a few months before they begin. There are some good resources on-line that will give you an idea of when to expect what breeds to start laying.

4. LN2008

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    Quote:I have three. A Lavendar Orpington, a Maran and an Ameraucana. Do you have links to those resources? I'd be interested to read them.

5. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Pullets and eggs are very similar to pots and boiling water...

They will lay in the winter, if they need a little extra light, put a light on in the am. Ours comes on at about 04:30, goes off at 08:00. They have not missed a beat. They were may 15 chicks.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I have three. A Lavendar Orpington, a Maran and an Ameraucana. Do you have links to those resources? I'd be interested to read them.

I have found that Marans do not lay well in winter. (at least my 2 didn't)

They will still lay, it just may take a bit longer with less light. However, fall/winter is when birds (no matter what breed) molt and during a molt they don't lay eggs. I have 26 chickens and only about 6 are laying, all of them are in their first year - the rest are in some degree of molt.

7. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Quote:I just went on Google and typed the question "When do Welsummers start to lay" or something like that and looked through several of the sites listed before I found one that had a good answer.

I retyped the question, substituting "Ameraucana" for "Welsummer" and got this site: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farmlife/msg111238368332.html

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I just went on Google and typed the question "When do Welsummers start to lay" or something like that and looked through several of the sites listed before I found one that had a good answer.

I retyped the question, substituting "Ameraucana" for "Welsummer" and got this site: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farmlife/msg111238368332.html

My breeder welsummers never start laying before 24 weeks. If you got yours from a hatchery, they may start a bit earlier.

9. eggscetera

eggscetera Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    Palmer, Alaska
    Chickens need 14 hours of light a day to lay. If you want your chickens to lay in the winter be sure to put a light on a timer. I'm in Alaska where it was 10 below with 60 mph winds yesterday. I got 8 eggs off my 15 hens. I get between 8 and 10 eggs a day. So not everybody lays every day but we get plenty of eggs nonetheless. My light comes on at 6AM and goes off at 10AM. It comes on again at 5PM and off at 9PM. When it's really cold it just stays on 24/7 (a 100 watt light bulb is all i use). Today it warmed up a bit - it was 7 degrees the last time I looked and the wind has died down (thanks goodness- three days of wild winds wears on hens and people alike).

10. LN2008

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    Quote:What kind of light do you use?? We don't have electricity in our coop so I'm looking for different options.. We'll see what that means.

If my math is correct my girls are at 4.5 months and from what I'm reading 5 months seems to be average.. Though I agree, watching them is like watching a pot of water until it boils.. [​IMG] I just can't help being anxious! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by