Eggs in water!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cakey, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Cakey

Cakey New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    Hi, could anyone please help? I have a Mallard male and female, the little female started laying a week ago for the first time this year, but after laying 3 Eggs she had appeared to have stopped, however today I have been cleaning their bath tubs out and have found 2 eggs in the water, does anyone have any idea why she would do this, other than the fact I have seen them mating in the water I have no idea! Thanks

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    My ducks started doing that also. I think they don't want me to find them.

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

That happens.....It takes 24 hours to produce an egg....Most times eggs are laid in the morning, although they can pass eggs later in the day too.....Normal.......I have found eggs in the water, on the ground when let out free ranging......Nothing to worry about.......:)

Cheers!

4. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Ducks just don't really care where they lay them sometimes....[​IMG]

5. Kymaro

Kymaro Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2017
    Michigan
    Sorry such a late post - Thank you, I was going to ask this exact question for the Exact reason. 3 eggs in the pool yesterday and I had just cleaned it last weekend. Then to add to the disappointment, I went to put them away last night, there was an other egg in the water. I would not have known except the water was still clear from cleaning it just 8° earlier. I was shocked. Guess that's part of the "hands on learning" - You get to learn something new everyday.

Any recommendations on how to prevent this?

6. CarleeAnn

CarleeAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2017
    Louisiana
    I keep my duck cooped up until she lays in her coop, but she always lays before 8am.

7. Ducktown

Ducktown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2017
    And what happens with eggs that end up in the pond where you can't find and remove them? I guess they rot after some time and start floating as gases start to form inside. I'm kind of worried about my ducks laying in the water, because it's their favorite place. It's time to start closing them inside their coop, I guess. They hate it. :)

8. CarleeAnn

CarleeAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2017
    Louisiana
    I only have two ducks and they have a 40 Gallon stock tank for their pond that I clean every other day. I don’t know how easy this would be for you, maybe you could get a net to run along the bottom everyday to check for eggs to ensure the water quality even when the water is murky?

9. Kymaro

Kymaro Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2017
    Michigan
    Perfect. I started doing this soon as I found the eggs. I was letting them out into the duck yard at dawn (around 6:30) Now I am sleeping in an extra hour :)

CarleeAnn likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by