1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs in water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crj, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Can any of you tell me if a duck lays an egg in water if it's still a good egg? I mean, can it hatch? Can you still eat it or cook with it? I have a duck that will lay an egg in the pool. Not all the time but once in a while. So, I was just wondering and wanted to see what you had to say.

2. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    I would not use it for hatching, because it will draw in bacteria through the shell as is cools in the water. This makes it unsuitable for hatching. For eating it is still fine, if you eat it the same day. This is because the bacteria made it through the shell, but not the membrane at that point.

3. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    The Duck ABC's :

I would not use it for hatching, because it will draw in bacteria through the shell as is cools in the water. This makes it unsuitable for hatching. For eating it is still fine, if you eat it the same day. This is because the bacteria made it through the shell, but not the membrane at that point.

Not necessary, duck eggs are dirty (by design or nature of ducks) unless you can talk your ducks to lay eggs in clean nest (good luck).

I would not discard the eggs because "it will draw in bacteria through the shell as is cools in the water."

Typical paranoid misconception of unexperienced hatchers.

First of all make sure you are using broody or quality bator ( forget LG and other styrobators)

Most of them "dirty" eggs will hatch if you let the duck hatch those "dirty" eggs or use quality bator.

I washed my duck eggs from dirt, they hatched.

I also hatched bunch of Guinea Hens eggs being watered with an irrigation sprinkler system, to the extent the iron water (from the shallow well) stained red all the eggs, and they still hatched.

So let's not to be paranoid and make sure YOUR HATCHING SKILLS are up to level with YOUR PERSONAL OPINION AS WHAT EGGS ARE SUITABLE FOR HATCHING.

If they want to hatch, they WILL hatch !!!

LOL​

4. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    That has nothing to do with "inexperience". I rather not take a chance of having an egg explode down the road, because I don't know how long it had been sitting in the water. Ok, candling will catch that and regular checking is part of the incubation process. Yes, it is my preference not to incubate such eggs. I have enough eggs coming around that I can make that choice. My dogs gladly eat the other eggs, and this still leaves enough eggs going to retail customer for cooking/eating. I also have to say my eggs are rather clean at the time I put them into the incubator. This has solely to do with the way they are housed and the daily cleaning we provide. Very dirty egg will not be incubated either. Again personal choice. So don't treat on people calling them names, if they voices their opinion. You could have cut it down to that it works for you. Period. Very immature on your end. Let's what you will rant back.

5. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    The Duck ABC's :

[​IMG]

6. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
  7. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Not necessary, duck eggs are dirty (by design or nature of ducks) unless you can talk your ducks to lay eggs in clean nest (good luck).

I would not discard the eggs because "it will draw in bacteria through the shell as is cools in the water."

First of all make sure you are using broody or quality bator ( forget LG and other styrobators)

Most of them "dirty" eggs will hatch if you let the duck hatch those "dirty" eggs or use quality bator.

I also hatched bunch of Guinea Hens eggs being watered with an irrigation sprinkler system, to the extent the iron water (from the shallow well) stained red all the eggs, and they still hatched.

So let's not to be paranoid and make sure YOUR HATCHING SKILLS are up to level with YOUR PERSONAL OPINION AS WHAT EGGS ARE SUITABLE FOR HATCHING.

LOL

My duck eggs are ALWAYS clean (It might be because I clean there coop out.)
    As much as you know you must be a inexperienced hatcher! [​IMG]
    And what wrong with useing a LG or Styrofoam incubator? I've had excellent hatches from them!

I think you are being the paranoid one here [​IMG]

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    When you consider the hatch rate of a motherduck sitting on a nest of decomposing nesting material that may get rained on - pooped on or even have eggs exploding in the nest - you will not worry quite so much about the eggs you set in an incubator. As far as eating an egg laid in water goes- there is a huge difference between a duck laying an egg in clean running water and stagnant muddy water. Considering that you would mosy likey COOK the egg before eating - this process will kill any bacteria that may have gotten into the egg - just like you would any other store bought chicken egg from the store. I would suggest that you should refrigerate the egg until consumption rather than leave it at room temperature.

In answer to your direct question- yes they CAN still hatch or be eaten. Whether individual people do is up to them.

9. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Not necessary, duck eggs are dirty (by design or nature of ducks) unless you can talk your ducks to lay eggs in clean nest (good luck).

LOL

My duck eggs are ALWAYS clean (It might be because I clean there coop out.)
    As much as you know you must be a inexperienced hatcher! [​IMG]
    And what wrong with useing a LG or Styrofoam incubator? I've had excellent hatches from them!

I think you are being the paranoid one here [​IMG]

"My duck eggs are ALWAYS clean (It might be because I clean there coop out.)"

GOOD FOR YOU

"As much as you know you must be a inexperienced hatcher!"

Apparently you do not know much.

"And what wrong with useing a LG or Styrofoam incubator? I've had excellent hatches from them!"

GOOD FOR YOU again. You are hatching genius "useing" LG kill-a-bator.

It does not seem you read through hundred posts by desperate and frustrated LG users on this board.

Little Giant bators killed more embrios than they ever hatched.

You must be very frustrated and insecure individual resorting to personal attacks just cause you happen to have different (wrong) opinions on subjects disputed here.

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Thank you for your civil participation. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by