1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs in winter???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jruner, Oct 25, 2008.

1. jruner

jruner Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Challis, Idaho
    I want to get some layer and meat bird eggs and hatch them out. How long do I need to keep the chicks in the house before moving to the coop? It gets very cold here in the Idaho mountains! Oh are there any hatcheries that ship eggs in the winter?

Thanks,

John Runer

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Many hatcheries will ship any ol' time and unfortunately harsh conditions can mean the chicklets don't survive. Best to ship during good weather. JJ

3. michellebracy

michellebracy New Egg

Oct 18, 2008
    [​IMG]- i am cny and it is getting down to mid 30s at night i do not think i would put them in the coope until fully feathered and had a bit of size to them and a heat lamp just in case the others that you have do not welcome them in the flock - you may want to think of a good alternative in case you can't do that - like your basement or a garage that you can partly heat for them good luck though ![​IMG]
    michelle

4. jruner

jruner Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Challis, Idaho
    Thank you for the replies I plan to keep the chicks in my basement until feathered, I was curious about age in weeks or months before putting young chickens in a coop for the winter.

Thanks,

John Runer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by