Eggs laid - No one claims them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sgsf, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    How come the layer of the eggs is not sitting on the eggs? This is the first eggs ever, and there were 2 eggs. 2 brown small eggs laid in the corner of the Inner coop. I have 5 hens, 2 silkies (4 months), 1 Black Cochin (4 months), 2 Aracuannas (about 3 months).

I'll get pictures now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    chickens get up after there done laying unless they are broody it looks like 2 are laying [​IMG]

3. detali

detali Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    A hen has to go broody before she will sit on eggs. And at four months old, like you said, that is too young for a hen to go broody. They have to be at least a year old.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Breeds that are not known for going broody will most likely not sit on the eggs. A hen will sit on the nest for a short time before she lays the egg, then get off the nest. Broody breeds will lay a clutch of eggs and then go broody to hatch chicks. A hen does not have to be a year old to want to go broody. I've had a silkie hen that laid 2 eggs as a 7-month-old pullet and then went broody. Recently I had a 7.5-month-old Barred Rock sit on a nest of eggs and hatch them, then 2.5 months later, did the same thing again. There is no magical switch that comes on once the reach a year old that will make them go broody.

What breed of chicken do you have? Is there a rooster present? Also, a 4 month old chicken should not be mature enough to even lay an egg. I think they may be a little older.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:My BO went broody at 9 months.

But as to why "nobody claimed" the eggs by sitting on them, everybody has been spot on: a pullet or hen has to be "broody" before she will set on a clutch of eggs. For the most part, broodiness as a characteristic has been bred out of many chicken breeds because it stops the egg production process. The layer will stop laying when she gets a number of eggs for her clutch, then she sits on those eggs for 21 days until they hatch. THEN she raises the chicks for 3 to 4 or more weeks, and doesn't lay eggs during that time.

Some breeds have more liklihood of going broody than others. (Buff Orpingtons, for example... and Black Australorps, and Cochins, and of course, Silkies.) Broodies don't care if their eggs are fertilized or not. SOME broody hens/pullets will set on golf balls, wooden eggs, etc., they want to be mommies so bad.

6. sammileah

sammileah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    central ia
    i have 8 hens all laying and none of them sit. 1 gets mad at me for taking eggs but isn't broody. only time they ever in a box is to lay the egg.

7. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Yes, a Rooster is present. And I've seen him fertilize here eggs, (I think) - He held her down by biting on the neck and did his thing. Which I guess will also fertilize the egg?

And I believe the layer is the Black Cochin Bantam.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Your black cochin MAY go broody on you at some point, or she may not. At least that's one of the breeds more likely to do so.

9. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    What should I do with the eggs? She doesn't seem to be interested in them.

10. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    eat them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by