Eggs & laying habits

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ohscovies, Mar 30, 2018.

1. ohscovies

ohscovies In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2015
    Grafton, OH
    I've got 3 female Welsh harlequins who started laying about a month ago. I've gotten 3 eggs every day, and they were laying in the coop until yesterday. Yesterday, they were just randomly out in the middle of the yard. Today, they were in or near a nest under a tree in the yard. But there were 5 eggs!

So my question is: is it more likely that my ducks laid extra eggs, or that two of those eggs are from the wild mallard that frequents our pond? The mallard is here off and on. All the eggs look identical...

chickens really likes this.
  2. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Anything you’ve mentioned could be possible, a couple of new layers must have layed couple of eggs. Or some wild ducks layed eggs close by.

Reminded me of one thread here from an Australian lady that found an egg on her front door and decided to incubate in a bowl with a desk lamp. The rest was history it went viral thread.

3. ohscovies

ohscovies In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2015
    Grafton, OH
    I only have 3 ducks, so eggs from 5 of MY ducks is impossible. What I'm asking is if it's possible for a duck to lay more than one egg in a day.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Not impossible but it does take 24 hrs to make an egg so if more than one come down the chute the egg making process isn't normal usually the 2nd egg will be a soft shell one.

Hazel bazil 11 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: