1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs lost in mail

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by genevieve, Aug 20, 2011.

1. genevieve

genevieve Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    So I had eggs shipped to me on MONDAY and they are just arriving today thanks to the dear ol USPS detouring them to RI on the way from SC to NJ.

Is there any hope for them? Should I let them settle before I put them in the incubator or just get them right in there? Unfortunately I had two other batches come in mid week and they are already in there with the turner going so I can't put these in without the turner on...

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I would let them settle. I always let mine settle for 24 plus hours then I put them in a turner if waiting on other eggs if you aren't waiting put them in tomorrow. Are you sure they left on Monday, you could check the confirmation number to see its scans. Good luck Michele

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I think so. Someone told me on this list that egg fertility starts dropping considerably by the 10th day. [​IMG]

Let them settle a day and then try them. Good luck!

4. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I have heard of people putting them in right away especially if the temp are high and have not had a problem. If it makes you feel better the post office lost a package of live bird, not baby chicks, but 1 month and 3 month old that where suppose to be here on wend. they didn't show up until friday. They were still alive miraculously.

5. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Wow! Really? [​IMG] Lucky!

6. Memphisjourney2seramas

May 19, 2011
    I know, I know I thought for sure they would be dead. I didn't sleep for 3 days. They were only suppose to take 16 hours to get here. Lesson learned. all ways plan ahead. They had a little scratch, but nothing else. Next time we are packing apples for the water factor. The truck driver knew I had been waiting for days and thought for sure they were dead too, but open the package AGAINST post office regulations and gave them some water. I could have kissed her for that.

7. hydroswiftrob

hydroswiftrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    My Coop
    Quote:Wow, those kind of people are far and few in the world today. Too many regulations as it is. I would give her a dinner for two to a local restaurant.

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:Wow, those kind of people are far and few in the world today. Too many regulations as it is. I would give her a dinner for two to a local restaurant.

WOW! X2

What a good kind-hearted person! [​IMG]

9. Memphisjourney2seramas

May 19, 2011
    Every person that I called about my live bird being lost was like "oh well, We have seen them go for several days without food and water."

10. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Mine were mailed on Monday as well and have yet to arrive. Mailman has been here already today. I'm glad you got yours. I think mine will be a lost cause because of the time frame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by