1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs lost in transit

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SunnySkies, Aug 21, 2013.

1. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    So I ordered eggs from a BYcer, who did everything right when shipping them out. Tracking number, insured, shipped priority, marked fragile, marked hold for pick up with my phone number, the whole nine yards. Correct shipping address.

Well, they arrived today. No joke. Dumped on my doorstep. I have been home for the last 48 hours, no phone call. No knock even. One of the kids found the box on the front stoop when he went out to play. After having been shipped on the 12th, per my request, and had an expected delivery of the 14th. UGH.

Multiple stamps all over it with various dates, all in the same PO. It's like it got pushed around this one stop for a week then finally departed on the 19th.

Box is slightly damaged. Haven't looked at the eggs to see if any are OK. I am planning to look at air cells, just out of curiosity, and also see how many are rotten.

But a general question...has anyone had shipped eggs hatch after that many days in transit? I'm pretty sure these are duds, just based on the breed and how long they took and the treatment it looks like they took.

I'm so angry I could spit. Fortunately, the shipper was refunded by the PO and is going to resend me eggs next week.

2. theadopter

theadopter Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    I've been waiting on a LETTER mailed from my daughter 8 DAYS AGO from the next state up! She's a truck driver, this will be the 3rd one in 2 months... beginning to doubt USPS. :( or truck stop pickups!?!
    good luck with the eggs! ;)

3. SunnySkies

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I ended up throwing 3 away. They were wet inside a sealed bag and bubble wrap. They smelled funky. So I decided to not risk a bomb in the bator. Set the others Friday, and I'll candle them next week and see what happens. I don't have great luck with shipped eggs to begin with (yet 90-100% with my own eggs) but.. It's a question of the eggs and how well they held up to their mistreatment.

4. SunnySkies

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    So I candled these eggs today. Two were fuunnkky....something I had never seen before...with black odd patches inside the eggshells. I cracked them open, and no embryo but had probably gotten filled with bacterial and could have exploded. another was obviously clear. One looked good with lovely veins! The others are questionable so I put them all back.

And the shipper sent me more eggs. They traveled safely until they arrived here. My PO called last night at 4:30 to tell me they were here. My oldest son was near the phone and answered, and he told them we would pick them up today. I made the trek into town this morning, just to learn they were sent out on the truck to my house...despite a huge note on the box, right under my address, to hold and call for pickup! UGH.

I hope these are the last eggs I order. I hope they hatch. My own hens are starting to lay. Hopefully I won't need to rely on shopped eggs any longer.

5. SunnySkies

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Candled again tonight. It was dark in the room with the bator, so I popped the top off and laid my light up against the eggs, not even moving them.

I can say this now.

Eggs lost for that long...dump them. Don't waste your time.

I had two more almost-bombs in there, and the rest were just not doing a thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by