Eggs - Medicated feed, antibiotics, worming medicines

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RooChick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. RooChick

RooChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Australia
    Hi [​IMG]

So I have one chicken on medicated chick starter and was told not to eat the eggs for 14 days afterwards (other chickens have managed to get a hold of some too!)
    I also have another chicken on antibiotics - amoxycillin / clavulanic acid + enrofloxacin and was told not to eat eggs for a month afterwards.
    And I have also wormed them all with Ausmectin Drench and was also told not to eat the eggs for 14 days afterwards.

My question is, I know humans can't have any of the eggs they lay, but can I feed them to my dogs ?

I feel as though I would be wasting their eggs if I have to throw them away !!

Thanks !

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I wouldn't,
    just to be sure you are not enabling resistance somewhere down the line,
    especially the antibiotics.

What is the 'medicine' in the medicated feed?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Check out the regulations where you live in Australia. Those antibiotics would render ALL the eggs produced by that hen inedible for the rest of her life here in the US. Here, chick starter can have amprolium added, and it's not an antibiotic, and there's no egg withdrawal. I have no idea what the wormer is that you mentioned, and if it's labeled for poultry, it should have egg withdrawal directions available. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by