Eggs Missing

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dragonbird, May 1, 2016.

1. dragonbird

dragonbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2015
    Our five girls had started producing their normal 3-5 eggs a day after their winter break of about 1-3 eggs a day...Until about two weeks ago.

I started getting 0-2 eggs a day. I am a coop stalker. I am addicted to my chickens and admit that I go out there far more than I need to . I also have 12 babies in a separation area in the coop that I cannot seem to get enough of, so needless to say I am out there a LOT and collect the eggs very frequently.

I also did notice that the girls looked like they had been slowly digging around the perimeter of their run enclosure which had the chicken wire buried about 4 inches deep-it was on our to do list to get that all fixed up but we were waiting for a day that wasn't a torrential downpour.

My first thought was a snake-as the eggs were just gone. No evidence and all my girls were OK-and, after all, aren't raccoons mostly nocturnal?

But my sweet daughter decided neighbors were stealing eggs, so she put a bunch of fishing line in random places so she could see if people were walking through (ya ya, animals could do it too-but I couldn't get her to move on from that idea haha)..Today we went out and checked her 'traps' and I found a bit of raccoon (I think) scat (normal around here) but I also found an eggshell with the innards missing.

I stacked logs up around the wire until hubby and I can get to the burying of the wire better (not the best solution but I am an idiot and I was completely in panic mode).

I holed myself out in the coop for two hours while my girls were laying, just to see if anyone would come. The only thing that I saw was a really inquisitive crow that seemed to be great friends with my girls. So now I am wondering if a crow is capable of grabbing an egg and running off with it?

I have no idea what I am up against. I've only hunted moles before (and am quite good at it-I catch them alive with a shovel) and am up for the challenge I just need to know my enemy.

Wow, this got REALLY long-sorry for that. I'm just really hoping someone has some brilliant ideas of what would steal eggs in the daytime....The little area that was a bit unsecured really didn't seem big enough for a raccoon-it was only a small gap-like an inch...but with some pushing and shoving maybe had give to about three inches.

Thanks in advance!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not saying this is your culprit, but crows will enter a coop and take eggs.

3. dragonbird

Sep 4, 2015
    I am wondering this myself. We have a ton of them too-I've always been happy to see them as they keep the hawks away. My girls seem to have a great relationship with this particular crow too.

I just don't know if they would squeeze under a fence-as that is the only place that had a gap at all...I set a live trap just to see what happens...

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would agree with the theory of Sourland...Magpies are here in abundance and I have witnessed them breaking and extracting the yolk and white of goose eggs...they are of the same family as crows...they are not adverse to taking young chicks too...

5. dragonbird

Sep 4, 2015
    I can't wait to get my trail cam!! This is driving me slowly insane. I can't just sit in the coop every day while the girls are laying haha! They really seemed like they were best friends with this crow-so could very well be possible.

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Did you ever install that trail cam?

7. dragonbird

Sep 4, 2015
    Not yet, I was hoping to get one for Mother's Day haha! I will have to wait until the day is over before I find out if I have to go out and get one myself ;)

8. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    At least you used paragraphs....Thank You!

Here's to hoping you get the gift you want and need...and we get to see the results soon.

10. dragonbird

Sep 4, 2015
    No luck haha! I'll have to dive into my crazy money stash and look for a decent one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by