Eggs moving, but are they dying?

sugarbell99

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
Moscow, Pa.
I had 15 eggs in the incubator and day 21 was Fri. 2 chicks hatched Thurs night around 2am and five hatched through out the day on Sat. There are still seven eggs in the incubator and they really got rolled around from the other chicks. This morning around 9am 2 of the eggs were moving and I heard peeping. Neither of them have pipped and the one has actually stopped moving and the other not as much. Do I do anything or just leave them? Temp is steady at 99.5 and humidity around 68%.

Well, I just successully assissted 2 chicks in hatching following the thread on "Assissted Hatch". The chicks are alive and exhausted, the only thing that worries me is their heads are still curled around as in the egg and their toes are still alittle curled. They literally just came out of the egg so I will give it alittle time. I'm not too worried about the toes as I will tape them straight but their necks curled is a different story. Hope with a little time they will straighten. Thank God for this website!!!!!!

SD Bird Lady, I greatly appreciate that!! I can't imagine having to put these little guys down after all they have been through to get here.I'd love to give them a chance.

gimmie birdies, I'm so glad to hear things like that, it gives me some hope. Maybe my next post will be the same as yours, (fingers crossed!!)

Just an update, The chicks heads did straighten up as did the legs. One has curled toes which I have taped straight.The other chick could not stand nor raise his head up. I used an egg carton to help him sit up. I put him in one cup where the eggs go and put tissues in the surrounding ones so he could rest his head on them. This worked and in alittle while he was able to hold his own head up however he could not stand. In the cup he could push himself up a bit with his legs but did not get strong enough to stand. I was giving ' save a chick ' electrolytes and probiotics letting him take drops off the end of a syringe but could not get him to eat starter. This went on for a day and a half with no improvement so for his sake I had him put down. The other chick is doing great. I think this has taught me to let nature take it's course and if chicks don't pip on there own, leave them alone. Thanks for your help.

good to hear!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom