Eggs Moving!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bkwurth, Feb 20, 2011.

1. bkwurth

bkwurth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    I watched today just for a few minutes to see if my eggs were moving. I saw 4, they were all close to each other. I am so excited. I'm trying to keep the lid on the bator but I wanna watch the rest of them.
    How long can you leave the lid off before it hurts the chicks?

Also, I have an egg in that is 2 days behind the others. Any ideas on what to do when I need to go into lockdown? Do I stop turning him 2 days early and pray he survives? I'm afraid I will kill it, what should I do?
    Thanks for any help.
    Kathy

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I just put an egg two days behind the others in the hatcher with the others when they needed to go on lockdown, we will see what happens, I think it will work out fine. I didn't want to risk the other eggs for one egg by opening the hatcher during lockdown.

3. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:When you go into lock down DO NOT OPEN THE LID!!! When its day 18 (lockdown) stop turning them and yes pray that they survive:thumbsup
    Oh and be carfull when you candle them that there is not much heat that gets out of the bator and dont candle. And like I said dont open the bator at all on day 18 even if you think it wont hurt

4. bkwurth

Jan 24, 2011
    Quote:Good luck! Let me know if it makes it. I still have a week til hatch.

5. bkwurth

Jan 24, 2011
    Quote:When you go into lock down DO NOT OPEN THE LID!!! When its day 18 (lockdown) stop turning them and yes pray that they survive:thumbsup
    Oh and be carfull when you candle them that there is not much heat that gets out of the bator and dont candle. And like I said dont open the bator at all on day 18 even if you think it wont hurt

'
    I thought lockdown started on day 19.
    So it work out three days, 19, 20, 21.
    Lock down on day 18?

6. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:Good luck! Let me know if it makes it. I still have a week til hatch.

Will do, I have 2 hatching now, but the one 2 days behind isn't due until Tuesday.

7. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan

'
    Lock down on day 18?

its 3 days befor hatch day. making it day 18...

8. bkwurth

Jan 24, 2011
    Quote:'
    Lock down on day 18?

its 3 days befor hatch day. making it day 18...

I see, thank you.

9. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA

'
    Lock down on day 18?

I'm in the same boat as you -- my Brinsea in auto mode stops turning on "day 2", which is day 19. I'm on day 19 today, but the auto turn won't stop for 10 more hours. Should I shut it off manually and go into lockdown this morning???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by