1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs not forming correct

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Backyard rancher, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Backyard rancher

Backyard rancher Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2007
    Ok you guys have been a blessing to my wife and I as we have moved into this endevor of being the best at raising Chicken as we can..I now have a new question my little ladies have arrived and are producing about 6 eggs per day but one of them every night lays an egg that has no real shell on it it is almost translucent. She always lays it at night as well never see it during the day.. The rest lay in the morning only, because it is at night I don't know which hen it is. Please Help....[​IMG]

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    your hen is laying what is a shelless or rubber egg.wich as you know is no good for anything.ive had a hen or 2 lay eggs like that.if they are new hens.they maystill be adjusting to a new place.i take it the hen is a 1st time layer.her body is adjusting to laying eggs an when it adjusts she will put shells on the eggs.

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Add some free choice oyster shell - that will help.

4. Backyard rancher

Feb 12, 2007
    Thanks, guys they are new only about 19 weeks old. I have only had them for about 2 weeks. I have oyster shell as well as I have them on a 16% laying ration and of course I do give them a little candy corn from time to time
    Thanks

5. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I know this is not helpful, but I was reminded of something funny and wanted to share. One time when I was a kid, we were at a friends house, and she told me one of her hens was about to lay an egg. She said, watch her, and when she gets up, bring the egg in the house. So I did. The egg had no shell! I was horrifed! I took it in, and said "Janet I'm so sorry; I think I made that chicken nervous! She forgot to put the shell on!" Needless to say, she just laughed and told me it was ok.[​IMG]

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Being that she is so young.....her body is "learning" A few of mine did that as well. You can eat the "rubber egg" No harm really....my grandson LOVED it when I took him one. Then he had mom fry it up, for an egg sandwich. [​IMG]

7. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Ah - I didn't know your girls were young things. Their bodies are just adjusting to the laying process - things should straighten right out soon.

8. Backyard rancher

Feb 12, 2007
    Thanks guys....They have been such a joy to work with.....I can feel my blood pressure go down when I am with my chickens....They are so much fun....I can't beleive how they have helped me with my stress level:D

9. gfiman

gfiman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2014
    Ramseur NC
    I too, just love to sit and watch my chickens !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by