eggs not forming

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jason barnes, Feb 1, 2017.

1. jason barnes

jason barnes New Egg

Feb 1, 2017
    hi
    i have achicken about 1 year old and her eggs are not forming very strong so they breck as you pick them up,she somtimes seem to lay them at night on her perch as well ,she is feed a layer pellet and has access to oyster shell but does not seem to use the oysrter sheell,i have three other chickens that are okay laying
    any ideas please

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

What breed is your hen who is having the issues? Is she laying an egg with a very thin brittle shell or an egg that is more in the "shell-less" category where it's just the tough membrane but not an actual hard shell?

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    1 person likes this.
  4. jason barnes

jason barnes New Egg

Feb 1, 2017
    shes hy line brown ,yes membrane or somtimes realy soft egg usally broken a bit or torn

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think some hens are not able to assimilate the calcium in their diet.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, jason barnes, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Hope you find the answers to your egg shell issues. Best wishes and thanks for joining us!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Jason [​IMG] Welcome!

I too hope that you are able to work out what is going on with your hen.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    @jason barnes Welcome to BYC I have exactly the same problem, one of my hens does it all the time. I have tried everything, finally come down to the fact that she is defective -I think some chooks just are 'unhelpable' if there is such a word.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Which may point to a Vitamin D deficiency as that is key in the effective absorption of calcium. Even if the overall diet *should* be sufficient based on the nutritional balance of the feed being used, individual birds in a flock can suffer deficiency and boosting the overall availability of those nutrients showing signs of being lacking can help. Offering other dietary options, treats, etc that are rich in the potentially deficient components is a great way to experiment in whether there is an issue....and have the added benefit of being more easily spread among flock members if potential feed access restriction is at play in why only certain birds are showing signs of being malnourished.

10. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    That is true but my chooks have so much vit d, the sun is shining day in day out, she simply cannot make a proper egg. I don't think my guys are undernourished they are wormed and 'fat or round' I should say. I put calcium in the water they have paw paw, fresh worms, mixed feed,almonds,corn,sesame seeds, peppers,okra fresh meilies, parsley rocket and access to my whole garden. I have given up I just think she has a problem and the vet agrees he is stumped as well. - I think DD is right she just cannot absorb calcium. Thank you for your guided input though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by