eggs not hatching

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2manyRoos, May 12, 2009.

1. 2manyRoos

2manyRoos New Egg

May 5, 2009
    Veneta, Oregon
    my hen has been setting on eggs for approximatly 23 days. I know most of them are bad because I can hear them slosh when you shake them lightly. My ? is, can I put a new batch of eggs under her, I know my eggs are fertile because my roo is quite the busy fella. So does anyone know if a hen will set long enough to hatch a second set of eggs. I believe the problem began with the musical nesting with the other hens since I didn't isolate her. anyhow should I try a second round of eggs or will it be a waste of time. HHEELLLLLPPPP

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You can try it and see - just keep her seperated from the others. I have not heard of someone doing that but I can't see why not try it.

3. 2manyRoos

2manyRoos New Egg

May 5, 2009
    Veneta, Oregon
    I do have another place to put her and know I should have to begin with. I guess procrastination gets me nowhere. I will wait one more day and then I think I'll try it . thank you

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I made the same mistake with my first broody too. You are not alone. Live and learn!!

5. 2manyRoos

2manyRoos New Egg

May 5, 2009
    Veneta, Oregon
    well it's 2 days later I put the hen on 10 new eggs and then last night put her in a seperate area all by herself so far so good

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by