Eggs not hatching

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Heartless, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Heartless

Heartless Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    I have 20 coturnix eggs in a homemade incubator .
    it's been 19 days and still no hatching !
    They are fertile am sure .
    should I throw them out and try again or give them more time ?

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Have you candled them?

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    What are the temp and humidty , what has the temp been throughout? I would give them at least 2 more days I have had some quail hatch a few days late. Dont bother them if you dont have to in a day or two you could try candleing them or float testing them or something. Good luck.

4. Toirxon

Toirxon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    Tashkent
    After 18 days I usually don`t keep them in incubator, because even though they hatch they won`t be healthy. From my experience I made a conclusion, that there is no use to keep them more than 18 days.

5. drowe005

drowe005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    I would definately wait a little longer. When I started hatching eggs, I had a few batches hatch up to 3 days late due to low temp in the incubator.

6. Toirxon

Toirxon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    Tashkent
    Yes, it would be better, I`ve just told my opinion, it can be wrong, because I`m not so experienced quailkeeper :) .
    I had some earlier hatches, 16 days, but they were all OK. After 18 days all of them were ill. The tempereture and everything was normal in my incubator. You are right, if you had low temperature it would be better to wait some days. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by