eggs not hatching

Discussion in 'Quail' started by wqlec, Dec 3, 2013.

1. wqlec

wqlec New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    new jersey
    we have put lights in each of our coops and generally get one egg for each hen a day. My question is its been very cold lately and my eggs are not hatching since the temperature has been below freezing. We collect the eggs twice a day so they do not freeze but they will not hatch. There coops are in three sections, they have a laying quarters, a feeding quarters and an outside run. We feed them a mix of laying mash, scratch, oyster shell and twice a week we add ground dry cat food. But still no babies in the incubator. Any suggestions?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    How old is your rooster? What breeds?

3. wqlec

wqlec New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    new jersey
    im sorry im new, i thought i posted in quail section. They are japanese coturinx quale, they are 6 months old

4. swords75xlh

swords75xlh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    church point La.
    how many females to males 3 or 4 to one seems to work good for me

5. wqlec

wqlec New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    new jersey
    In that coop we have 3 males and 18 female. We had great success in hatching until weather changed and got very cold.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Cold weather does effect fertility. So unless you add heat to the situation, you hatch rate can suffer. On this note, adding heat is never a good idea in cold weather as you want the birds to adapt to the temps. If you were getting good hatches when the weather was warm, then I assume there is no health issues. You can either wait til spring or add heat. Your choice.

7. wqlec

wqlec New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    new jersey
    Thank you for your input twocrows....i was afraid of that. We really dont want to put heat in coops for the reasons you stated. This is our first winter with quail, so we will probably just sell eggs to local restaurant for winter months. Thanks again for your time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by