1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eggs not hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 3 sisters farm, Sep 1, 2008.

1. 3 sisters farm

3 sisters farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    :(My eggs a about 5 day 23 and another 10 are day 21. All of the eggs were candled with definate movement on day 19 when place in my hovabator which I'm using as a hatcher. I do have 3 very dark eggs on day 21....but I am not positive on these, I can see an airspace but not a hole lot else...I have a flashlight only. I have 2 additional eggs on day 23 that are also very dark...everybody else definately alive. I did quickly remove one day 23 and a day 21 egg....both alive. No peeps, no pips, I don't know if I should just wait a day or 2 or candle some more. My hygrometer is on order.... but I have followed the air sacs and they are on track with pictures. Any suggestions. no hygrometer around that I could find and I don't know what a water wiggler is. mary

2. 3 sisters farm

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    I candled 2 of the now day 24 eggs last night still alive, moving and one of the day 21. Today I have 3 of my eggs rolling a bit on their own....so maybe something good is going on! I hope its not just getting ready to explode....but one of these I had candled yesterday so I hoping its baby time.

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    yeah, maybe your temps were slightly cooler than they need to be...doesn't that cause a late hatch?
    I hope they pip soon!
    [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

4. LOPRFYLER

LOPRFYLER Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    How do you know if you made the humidity high enough for them to hatch?

5. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    The windows on my LG start to fog up just a bit when the humidity is high, but the house humidity is really low. If you live somewhere with pretty good humidity int he air, you may only need to fill the water troughs provided. If you live in a more desert-like area, you probably want to add a soaking wet sponge in a bowl, or someone said they put socks in a bowl of water--more surface space to release water into the air, and when you're done, you can just toss the socks in the wash.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    its hard to tell without having a hum gage where your hum should be. yes, if your temps were a little low or droped at night that could delay your hatch !!! keep us updated !!!

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    What kind of eggs? chicken,duck,or geese? check it not guess it!

8. 3 sisters farm

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    They are chicken eggs, speckles sussex, barnevelder and blue andalusian (sp) and a couple buff orphingtons and one wellsummer and ameracauna (sp). I have both trays filled and have 2 wet washcloths in at oposite corners. The good news is one is now half zipped, another is pipped. I hear lots of peeping. Could not get a hygrometer so I await my ebay purchase that should have been here last week! Intermittently I have slightly fogged the windows, have both ports open, seemed pretty good that way. The humidity is stable in the room...lower today so I added the second washcloth....I do have a large too big for the incubator weather thing that does give humidity.

9. 3 sisters farm

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    One of my specled susex has hatched....and I got it on video....went from Pip to small whole...couple of hours zip and out in 3 min 39 secs. The second pip is about 1/3 zipped in about the same number of hours. Too bad my kids were asleep! I thought about waking, but figured it might take hours....

10. 3 sisters farm

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    I'm trying to figure the humidity out, I finally got a meter...but it only goes to 80%...I had it pegged, the membranes tough dry, chicks stuck lost one pipped so removed shell on 3 that surived, 2 hatched on their own. Other 6 dead in shell fully developed could not pip membrane to even get to shell...these were alive and tapping for a couple of days, had candled alive definately day 19/20/21/22/23 checked different ones but not all...my incubator recovers temp in less than 10 minutes and humidity in 15 min....but room is 60% humidity so getting real low humidity not a problem. It appears that some drowned and some to dry all exposed to same conditions and I have fans....I have a couple of eggs that are very dark, one I maybe hearing a tap in...I may open tonight but don't expect anything. Any ideas by the way I did fog the window but only a dime sized area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by