Eggs ok to eat after 5 day vacation?

FLchook

Songster
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Hi guys,

I thought the neighbor who was taking care of my girls would have picked up the eggs, but they didn't. So now I have 20 beautiful eggs sitting in the nest box taunting me. The oldest would be 5 days old. Inside I know they would be ok, but they have been outside in the summer heat of high 80's... so whatcha think?

Shannon

Egghead_Jr

Crowing
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
NEK, VT
Should be fine. If your nervous you can float test them. If one end is still sitting on bottom they are fresh. Hovers in water off bottom they're ok but wont be fresh so just feed those few back to chickens.

Hinotori

Silver Feathers
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Graham, WA
My hubby wouldn't eat the eggs when we were gone 4 days, even after I float tested them and showed him they were good. So the dogs and chickens got scrambled eggs. We get enough eggs every day I didn't worry about them.

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
As long as the eggs were not fertile OR highs were below about 85 if they were, there shouldn't be any development of chicks in the eggs at all. If shell is intact, nothing wrong with eating the eggs. Crack them individually into dishes if you are that worried, but they shouldn't spoil. Storing eggs in the fridge isn't all that common in most countries.

Top Bottom