Eggs ok to eat after 5 day vacation?

FLchook

Songster
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Hi guys,

I thought the neighbor who was taking care of my girls would have picked up the eggs, but they didn't. So now I have 20 beautiful eggs sitting in the nest box taunting me. The oldest would be 5 days old. Inside I know they would be ok, but they have been outside in the summer heat of high 80's... so whatcha think?

Shannon

I'm kinda thinking they might be ok. You'll know for sure when you break them open.
wink.png

Should be fine. If your nervous you can float test them. If one end is still sitting on bottom they are fresh. Hovers in water off bottom they're ok but wont be fresh so just feed those few back to chickens.

My hubby wouldn't eat the eggs when we were gone 4 days, even after I float tested them and showed him they were good. So the dogs and chickens got scrambled eggs. We get enough eggs every day I didn't worry about them.

As long as they were not in the direct sun. Also even Martha Stewart says eggs can be left out of the counter for several days and be just fine!
D.gif

As long as the eggs were not fertile OR highs were below about 85 if they were, there shouldn't be any development of chicks in the eggs at all. If shell is intact, nothing wrong with eating the eggs. Crack them individually into dishes if you are that worried, but they shouldn't spoil. Storing eggs in the fridge isn't all that common in most countries.

Back
Top Bottom