Eggs on day 2

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickeee34, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Chickeee34

Chickeee34 Just Hatched

Oct 1, 2016
    SoCal
    What are eggs supposed to look like on day 2 of incubation? I was finally able to get the temp and humidity stable last night. The temp whent up to 120 and the humidity went up to about 65 max but it wasn't like this for long, maybe about 1 minute. The humidity on the other hand was at 60 for a while. Please tell me that they are going to be ok? The temp right now is 100*F and the humudity is at 48% is that still to much?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    :frow

Here are some great candling pics ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=230
    At only two days of incubation you may not see very much especially if your eggs have a dark shell. For me personally I like to wait until day 7 of incubation to candle. I find it easier to see any developments then.

49% for humidity is a tad high but not to worry yet. You still have plenty of time to get a good average over the entire incubation period. You can either let this go down naturally or remove some of the water to reduce the surface area of it. I've found 35% works well for the eggs to be able to lose enough moisture and the air cell to grow adequately. Here is a good chart for air cell growth to aim for ~ [​IMG]

Humidity is not a set number though and what works for one person may not work for another. Lots can depend on your environment and your incubator. I would see what your air cell looks like on day 7 and then adjust it accordingly. If the air cell looks too big on day 7 you need more humidity but if it looks too small you need less humidity.

Good luck with your eggs :fl

3. Chickeee34

Chickeee34 Just Hatched

Oct 1, 2016
    SoCal
    Thanks for the info! This is my first time hatching eggs and I made a homemade incubator which is why I'm having trouble. I took a dehydrator packet out of a pack of nori so I'm hoping that works. Do you have any tips on how to lower the humidity?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by