Eggs on the floor..........laid from the roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CovenantCreek, Jan 12, 2009.

1. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Am I the only one with a hen that seems to sleep through laying her eggs? Almost every day there's an egg on the floor directly below the roost -- which was recently raised to almost 5', reducing the likelihood of them being usable, although the first egg dropped from that height survived in tact.....but covered with poo. I recently even adjusted the light timer to come on earlier so she'd be awake before the egg's arrival. It's incredibly frustrating since her eggs are among the largest being laid. [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I get those once in awhile from a new pullet or if all the favorite nestboxes are taken. Sometimes have found them on the little steps I have leading to the roosts even. Someone that didn't make it to the nestbox in the mornings! [​IMG]

3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I wish it only happened once in awhile. She's been doing it almost every morning for several months -- except for a short period after making the light come on earlier. [​IMG]

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I had a pullet that would fly up into the rafters of my front porch and lay her egg everyday. This went on for a while. [​IMG]

I was getting egged by my own chicken [​IMG]

5. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
    We found one under the roost yesterday. It was probably the first one laid by our 7 month old SLW (yay!). Luckily, I hadn't cleaned the coop in awhile, so the egg landed safely in a pile of poo. Hopefully she'll find her way to the nest box next time.

Funny, when I was typing out the post above, I thought about the old "Shaving Cream" song . Anybody else remember that one? Here's a BYC version:

A hen laid an egg from her roost pole
    You'd think that the egg would be split
    But luck was with her that morning
    It fell in a pile of SH--

Shaving cream!
    Be nice and clean!
    Shave every day and you'll always look keen!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  6. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

yes!!! [​IMG] i remember that one! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by