eggs on the ground

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rebel yell, Aug 2, 2010.

1. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I have a silkie hen that lays on the ground, shes got a nice nest box on the ground & i have got her eggs in the nest, but she is determend to lay on the ground, will she ever go to setting like this, or what do i need to do?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I had the same problems when my RIR hens stated laying. I would find one egg in a box and about 7 on the ground in the mud. After a while they just started using the boxes. How many hens and boxes do you have?

3. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I only have 1 hen in that pen along with a rooster & 1 nest box, im hopeing that they dont end up breaking an egg on the ground & start eating them cause once they get started its hard to stop them, will she ever go to setting like this?

4. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    There is a small depression near a cedar tree that one of our girls uses. I will find an egg there almost every day. If it's good for her and I know to look there then all is well.

5. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Silkies can be funny, just keep moving them or maybe move the nest to where she keeps putting them?

6. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    thanks for all the info. hope she will strighten up before long, hate for those egs to go bad.

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    (sing songy inserted here).... Eggs on da groun... Eggs on da groun.... Lookin like a fool w/yer eggs on da groun... [​IMG]

8. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    ^ That made me laugh.

9. CoupeDeVille

CoupeDeVille Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    New Hartford, Ct.
    Quote:Aahahaaha !! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by