1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs on the way, but not sure best options while out of town. Help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silvershine, May 31, 2016.

1. silvershine

silvershine New Egg

Aug 15, 2015
    Middle TN
    Ordered some eggs, but as luck would have it i will be gone 5 days. I will be getting a auto turning incubator, but will not have anyone home to check fluid levels on it. It will be a 10 hour drive, so considered bringing them, but 10 hours in a car- is that a problem? I guess i could use a converter and keep it plugged in?

Suggestions? 1st time hatcher here.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Idk, it's hard not having anyone to count on once in a while. Taking them to a friends house would be better. Seems like there would be too much temp variation in the car. Though I have considered doing the same thing for transporting chicks.

Since I have never hatched anything yet, I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to give you better advice.

Best wishes!

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I would set up the incubator and check the humidity with no water in it. If it stays above 25%, I wouldn't worry about adding water in the beginning. You can check the air cells at days 7 and 14 and if they are growing too fast then you can up the humidity at those times. Other option is if you are going to be gone early on- fill the water wells and run it higher the first few days and then drop it down and run dry after you get back to een out the air cells when you can monitor them. I wouldn't advise taking them with you. You are already at a disadvantage with shipped eggs to begin with.

http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

4. silvershine

silvershine New Egg

Aug 15, 2015
    Middle TN

Thanks for the hugely informative reply!

1 person likes this.
  5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You are welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by