Eggs or chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tutuhappy, Aug 31, 2008.

1. tutuhappy

tutuhappy New Egg

Aug 31, 2008
    Atlanta,GA
    Hi everyone. I'm planning on getting chickens (Araucanas) and I was wondering if anyone had a preferance between day-old chicks and hatching eggs.

Thanks![​IMG]

2. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

i think that hatcing eggs is funner, because of the experiance, but it is hard to do. and takes a while. chicks are faster, but u dont get to experiance the hatch.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As a first time chicken owner (well they aren't actually my very first, but that's a long story [​IMG] ) I think chicks are better. Get some experience with dealing with chicks under your belt and then give hatching a try. It is harder to hatch, but that's just MHO.

4. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Personally I'd get chicks first.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    If you are getting hatchery birds then they are most likely Easter Eggers, not true Aruacana. If you are getting them from a local breeder then I would get the chicks. I have had a couple of true araucana batches and got no tufted AND rumpless birds. I think they are more difficult than the other breeds I have hatched. On the other hand I LOVE to incubate and if you don't mind only getting a few to hatch then I say INCUBATE [​IMG] . It's also how much work you want to put into it, i.e. turning eggs, temp watching, waiting at a little window for 3 weeks for a pip or a peep [​IMG] . If you have no experience at all and can only get eggs shipped to you I say get chicks, incubating is a lot of work and can be very discouraging at times, especially with shipped eggs. Confused yet? [​IMG]

Krista

6. tutuhappy

tutuhappy New Egg

Aug 31, 2008
    Atlanta,GA
    You guys are so helpful![​IMG] Thanks! There is a feed store that sells chickens and ducks and roosters and chicks, but I don't think they sell Easter eggers.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by