EGGS PEEPING TO EARLY TO HATCH?

silkymom

Songster
10 Years
Nov 20, 2009
hello all, ii have 16 eggs due to hatch on saturday, one egg is peeping at me now, should i remove vent plugs? could they be hatching now? im using little giant still air, thanks

hello all, ii have 16 eggs due to hatch on saturday, one egg is peeping at me now, should i remove vent plugs? could they be hatching now? im using little giant still air, thanks
I'd remove the vents, but then mine are open the whole time. Peeping from inside the shell means that the chick has internally pipped. That means you could see an external pip anywhere between now and in the next 24 hours. Once they externally pip it can take up to another 24 hours for the chick to start zipping. (Mine generally go from pip to zip between 12-18 hours.) Make sure your humidity is up there and sit back cause it sounds as though your hatch isstarting. My last two hatches started on day 19 as well. (Usually signifies that the average temps during incubation is just a bit higher than the norm.) Good luck!

thanks, i have never had very good luck with incubators, mabey i finnally have it right, now to get ready for them.

thanks, i have never had very good luck with incubators, mabey i finnally have it right, now to get ready for them.
fl.gif

about humidity, all wells are full right now but now the vent plugs are out, can i open it to add water?

about humidity, all wells are full right now but now the vent plugs are out, can i open it to add water?
You sure can. I use wet sponges in my bator on top of the screen (as well as filling the wells underneath). It keeps the humidity up in the 75% area I like and it's easier during hatch to slide out a sponge and rewet it than filling refilling channels if I need a humidity boost.

well now 9;00 am i have 1 egg peeping and external pip, i can see him moving , i dont know how long the hole has been there? how long does it usually take for them to zip out? and why only 1 is this normal?

well now 9;00 am i have 1 egg peeping and external pip, i can see him moving , i dont know how long the hole has been there? how long does it usually take for them to zip out? and why only 1 is this normal?
My average for pip to zip is 12-18 hours. I've had a handful go sooner and a handful later. He's just more ready than the others. Size of egg and if the egg was sitting in a "warm spot" in the bator can effect who goes first or how early the first one hatches. You have a second peeping, so that's a good sign. Usually it starts off slow and if temps/humidity is right, you usually see them pick up and have more action. Good luck!!

thanks, we now have 4 of 16 pipped, this waiting is killing me, lots of peeping going on in there

Back
Top Bottom