eggs pipping early ***UPDATED ...PICS ADDED ***

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by critters, Mar 1, 2012.

1. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

but that's ok!

only have 6 out of 13 that appear to be good and they were due to hatch Sunday, March 4th but
    2 yesterday have started pipping internally....Can't wait even if early...
    this morning could see the tale tale sign of outer pipping as well.....yippey!![​IMG]

just hope they make it out ok! [​IMG]

who knows, they may actually hatch out on Sunday.... guineas! got to love them!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Yay critters, sounds like you'll have a few keets soon! It's normal with my hatches to get 1 or 2 keets that hatch on day 24 and 25, but most hatch day on 26. Occasionally a few will hold out on me til day 27. So far this season the only eggs left in the incubator by day 28 are the duds/early quitters.

Good luck with your hatch, post some pics!

3. critters

Thanks Peeps...after that first batch I am relieved to see these little guys coming!!

Getting ready to put more eggs in as well....think I am hooked!
    My fella ordered some Cochin chickens so I have 2 weeks old chicks chirping away too! 33 of them....

One of the guineas' egg is almost zipped all around....I am like a little kid at Christmas!! Can't Wait To See!!!!

I'll post some pics later when everyone is here....[​IMG][​IMG]

4. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Yay zipping! That one will definitely make it. And yep, you are hooked! AHAHA! I'm not the only one, whew! [​IMG]

Holy Moly, 33 cochin chicks...

Looking fwd to pics!

5. critters

4 babies are here and 2 are working hard to join them outside of their shells...
    zip zip zipppp so far I have 1 that might be a coral blue and 3 royals???
    all a guess on my part. maybe when they all get here I can get a better idea of colors...

they are sooo cute!

6. critters

Ok...they are here...all 6 of them, not many but cuties...
    the last 2 hatched out yesterday....

My guineas are from Royal purples, Pied Royals, Lavenders, Coral blues, Whites and Buff stock
    so believe these keets to be Royal Purple (the 3 darker ones)
    a Lavender (on front left) and the other 2 being Coral Blues....
    [​IMG]

of course don't know if a coral blue mated with a coral blue.....so, what colors do I have??
    the markings on the top of heads of the coral blues are slightly different in my opinion....
    the 'brighter' of the 2 seems to have broken lines at the crown and
    the other corals' is darker(ish) at crown w/ lighter outer lines on the neck ??

[​IMG]

next to them in the playpen are 33 chickens...mostly Cochins....(posted in chicken section)..

7. BritinMO

BritinMO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Oh cutttteeeee!! Many congratulations!!!

8. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    The 3 dark keets are Pearl Greys, the 2 grey/blue keets with white wings all the way to the shoulder and broken lines on their heads are Coral Blues and the grey/blue keet on the left with the wide grey stripe down the middle of his head is a Lavender. You had half of em right [​IMG]

Cute batch [​IMG] Congrats!

9. critters

what combo would have made the Pearl Grey babies since I didn't knowling have 'pearl greys' ??

wait, maybe the older guineas had a hand in this....believe there are some grey in my free rangers...hmmm
    guess I was too busy trying to make all the keets from the younger birds since the eggs came from the guinea coop...[​IMG]

either way, I have baby guineas, healthy and cute!!

just put another batch of 32 in the bator...[​IMG] hope they do well...

Thanks PeepCA for your color ID....appreciate all your help!

10. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Your older flock may have bred with your younger flock, but... with as diverse as most back yard flocks' genetics are, you never know what will pop up in a hatch.

There's several factors that come into play as to how and why certain colors show up in the hatches tho (and it's difficult for me to explain since I'm not a geneticist, lol)... the main factors are the dominant and recessive genes and how they pair up; a keet needs a color gene and pearling gene from each parent to decide which color it will be and how much pearling it will have. Typically the dominant genes override the recessive genes, dominating the hatch colors, but certain percentages of recessive genes can/do pair up in each hatch too (but depending on your hatch rate and which eggs live or die, the percentages can all vary).

Any fully pearled birds in your flock (like your Lavenders) that breed with your Royal Purples can/will produce some Pearl Grey keets. A Royal Purple is basically the same color as a Pearl Grey, but it's only partially pearled (so it looks darker). It is a dominant color, with recessive partial pearling... meaning the Royal Purple's base color (dark grey) is dominant over the lighter colors, and the fully pearled gene (of the Lavender in this example) is dominant over the partially pearled gene of the Royal Purple, resulting in some Pearl Grey keets... but I'm not saying this is the only reason you hatched Pearl grey keets.

There's also this possibility:
    If the parent birds were split to Pearl Grey (or Pied Pearl Grey) that can also be why they produced some Pearl Grey keets, because even tho you don't see Pearl Grey, it's still there, in the background.

Last season in my main breeding flock of light colors and light colored Pieds I removed all the Pied Pearl Greys and Royal Purples from that flock, and still hatched a ton of Pied Pearl Grey keets all thru the rest of the season (and 3 Pied Royal Purples). I expected nothing but all light colored keets starting a few weeks after the dominant colors were removed, but obviously some of that flock is split to Pearl Grey or Pied Pearl Grey or even Royal Purple or Pied Royal Purple...(they came from a ranch with about 50-60 free range adults of every color and Pieds running around, so who knows what their genetic background is made up of).

I've read this several times, and it's confusing, hope it makes sense to you...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by