EGGS PIPPING!! Help or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shellybean40, May 21, 2010.

1. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Last night was the 21 day mark and I noticed a few eggs with pips ( cracks, and/or eggshell missing). That was around midnight. This morning, there is progress, and peeping, and a few more have the X crack on them, but none have broken the membrane yet. Is this normal?? This is my very first hatch, so I am nervous!!

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Leave 'em alone! It takes them awhile to zip after pipping. If you try to help it will let too much air into the egg and shrink wrap the membrane around the chick. It can take upwards of 24 hours from pip to zip. [​IMG]

3. shellybean40

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    okay-I will leave them. So exciting!!

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I know! It is soooo hard to wait, lol! They'll be better off though. [​IMG]

5. shellybean40

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I have a sweet friend who has done this many times and she ALWAYS helps them out. She will stay up all night breaking off little bits of shell, opening the bator multiple times. She swears they will not hatch without help. I just really want them to do it themselves, I believe it is nature's way, you know?

6. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Just an FYI, I had 4 hatch yesterday with no help. They inherently know what to do. The problems tend to arise when WE intervene. I do help, but only if I know it's a last resort. If your babies are pecking through the shell, they are doing fine. Just keep an eye and be patient.
    Good luck!

7. shellybean40

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    One more question, when do they get through the membrane? They are breaking off bits of shell, but as far as I can tell, the membrane is still intact? I was just curious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by