Eggs point side up in (side rolling) incubator. How bad is that?

Feb 17, 2021
Our eggs are in an incubator that has the eggs laying on their sides but when the automatic turner rolls them some end up pointing up each time. How bad is that? We just started day 2. Should I try to get in there and lay them down each time? I feel like that will mess up the heat/humidity.

Our eggs are in an incubator that has the eggs laying on their sides but when the automatic turner rolls them some end up pointing up each time. How bad is that? We just started day 2. Should I try to get in there and lay them down each time? I feel like that will mess up the heat/humidity.
Which bator/turner are you using?

I have hand turned on the side before and got my highest hatch rates yet.

I used the upright turner, Seemed fine. When I replaced my bator/turner I wanted to try the side ones.. The nurture right 360 is what I got first and it turns on the side but continually in one direction. I replaced that one with a bigger Styro bator and side turner and the directions describe this "walking" that happens as more "natural". I will admit there's nothing easy about hatching under a broody and nature is amazingly resilient, life finds a way!

I have to be honest.. I'm skeptical if it's turning well enough. But I'm giving it a chance without a LOT of extra intervention on the first go around to see it's results. It's been too recent of change for me to report any actual result and I'm trying not to hold my breath too much, admitting this is the LOUDEST turner yet of all.. The other poster's report gives me hope! :pop

I do move my eggs to a new place in the bator randomly every couple days to TRY and help combat any temperature variations through out relative to turner motor/air flow, etc.. and keep my hatch frame TIGHT.. when working with my own stock, within hours on day 21, NO matter which bator/turner I'm using. When I make this move I might also turn the egg before setting into it's new spot.

Congrats and best wishes on your (first) hatching adventure! :jumpy:jumpy

if i’m visualizing correctly from you post, it may be helpful to give more space between the eggs. I’ve had similar instances with my J12 incubator and it was due to having it “packed” too tightly with eggs in that particular row. if you are on day 2 and at max capacity, you can re-orient the eggs until day 7-10 and then candle to remove non-fertiles to allow more room for proper turning for the duration of incubation.

Which bator/turner are you using?

I have hand turned on the side before and got my highest hatch rates yet.

I used the upright turner, Seemed fine. When I replaced my bator/turner I wanted to try the side ones.. The nurture right 360 is what I got first and it turns on the side but continually in one direction. I replaced that one with a bigger Styro bator and side turner and the directions describe this "walking" that happens as more "natural". I will admit there's nothing easy about hatching under a broody and nature is amazingly resilient, life finds a way!

I have to be honest.. I'm skeptical if it's turning well enough. But I'm giving it a chance without a LOT of extra intervention on the first go around to see it's results. It's been too recent of change for me to report any actual result and I'm trying not to hold my breath too much, admitting this is the LOUDEST turner yet of all.. The other poster's report gives me hope! :pop

I do move my eggs to a new place in the bator randomly every couple days to TRY and help combat any temperature variations through out relative to turner motor/air flow, etc.. and keep my hatch frame TIGHT.. when working with my own stock, within hours on day 21, NO matter which bator/turner I'm using. When I make this move I might also turn the egg before setting into it's new spot.

Congrats and best wishes on your (first) hatching adventure! :jumpy:jumpy
This is the one we're using. It was recommended to me by a couple local quail raisers for "hobby hatching". It fits 30 eggs (I'll add a picture of my eggs before we started them). So far the temperature has held great, we've managed to keep the humidity where we wanted it.... those darn points just keep pointing up.
View attachment 2549140View attachment 2549141

if i’m visualizing correctly from you post, it may be helpful to give more space between the eggs. I’ve had similar instances with my J12 incubator and it was due to having it “packed” too tightly with eggs in that particular row. if you are on day 2 and at max capacity, you can re-orient the eggs until day 7-10 and then candle to remove non-fertiles to allow more room for proper turning for the duration of incubation.
View attachment 2549146

We bought 24 "true blue" celadon eggs and they sent 30. My incubator furs all 30 but definitely couldn't fit more. I was hoping to keep them all until we can candle them so that we can get as many chicks as possible. Is this too tight? Can they stay this way until we can candle them next weekend?

Screenshot_20210228-111221_Amazon Shopping.jpg
IMG_20210226_104911_328.jpg

Back
Top Bottom