Eggs production falling off

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FarmerMack, Jul 17, 2008.

1. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Lately my girls have stopped producing their regular 8 eggs a day. I havent changed feed scratch or any of the other factors yet I went from 8 eggs a day from my 11 ladies to half that amount. It has been hotter than normal for them could this be a factor? I have always regularly added oyster shells to the feed. My production meetings include motivation speeches with key words such as "KFC, Frank Prudue and Texas BBQ" LOL. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Farmer MacK [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The heat of summer can cause them to slack off. They can even start to go through a summer time molt and stop laying too. Chickens are not made to lay an egg every day. 280 eggs a year from hens is good production. You'll have some down time and won't have eggs from them from time to time.

3. pierce652

pierce652 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    I posted a similar message a few days ago. Since I covered the run with a tarp to afford shade and put ice in the water. Yester I was back to 4 eggs from 5 laying hens.

It was in the 90's yesterday and my wife said the run was nice and cool in the heat of the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by