Eggs roll all over the screen + install computer fan

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bragabit, Aug 8, 2010.

1. bragabit

bragabit Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Every time I try to turn my eggs they roll around. I was wondering if would help to put a papertowel under them to help them stay still?? Also I have a still air incubator. I have a computer fan that I removed today. Has anyone installed a computer fan to their incubator?? Care to help me figure it out?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That's why I love my auto turner.

If you put paper towels.. you may change the humidity dynamic.

As for fans... I've never done it but I'm going to on my incCubebator soon.

3. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I use the rubber shelf liner you get in the kitchen department of walmarts, it can be washed and reused also.

Good luck on your hatch, what kind will they be?

Not sure about the computer fan thingy

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    You can try some of that rubberized stuff that you put in the bottom of drawers in the kitchen if you want an inexpensive option. An egg turner is a wonderful investment if you plan on hatching often.

About the computer fan - we have one on ours. We used a recycled cord off of some random useless thing (I think it was an old drill?) and wired it to the fan. We drilled holes in the top of the styrofoam and installed the fan. You can also put a switch in the wiring, but since ours has a separate cord, we didn't think that was necessary.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  5. bragabit

bragabit Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Quote:f

I'll take the bait since you asked. I am hatching:

-White Orp
    -Buff Orp
    -Welsummer

Its my first time around and I am so scared to do something wrong. They were all shipped so it will be interesting. Also I put most of the eggs under two broody hens in my coop. So I am betting my hens have a better hatch rate than I do.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Me too, and it give great footing for the chicks when they hatch out too.

7. bragabit

bragabit Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Quote:Me too, and it give great footing for the chicks when they hatch out too.

Good to know!! I just happen to have some in my drawers.

8. chuck12

chuck12 Songster

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
    I use a computer fan in the homemade incubator I built... it works great.

9. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Songster

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    Hi, I installed a computer fan into my little giant and it was quite easy .Use the fan housing to mark the spots where the mounting holes will be for the fan . Drill though the Styrofoam at the location where the screws will be .Just as side note , make sure that the screws/nuts are stainless steal , or coated . Once the holes are made get a rubber or plastic spacer to put between the the fan and the Styrofoam .Put a washer between the screw and the foam and insert it through the hole and rubber washer and fan .Using another washer , slid it over the screw and tighten with the nut . I used a four inch fan , which fit right where the fan would be if I ordered it from the factory . Total cost about ten dollars including fan/ screws with nuts and washers , and plug in cord . Works fantastic . Just be ready to add water more often

10. bragabit

bragabit Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Quote:Thank you so much for taking the time to give me instructions. I too am using a 'Little Giant' incubator. So for me it hard to see the power area as its covered with a plastic housing. Did you remove the plastic housing??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by