eggs safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvmychix2014, Mar 27, 2015.

1. luvmychix2014

luvmychix2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    I just went outside and found a nest in a small trash trailer where my hen has laid 4 eggs...I would imagine she laid them this last week and temperatures have been up to 60s during the day and 30's at night. Are these eggs still safe to eat???

2. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Eggs laid last week will still be fresh at those temps. I'd be concerned about what kind of trash she laid them in. I wouldn't eat them if they were in rotten fish heads, crappy baby diapers and other haz mat stuff.

3. luvmychix2014

Aug 1, 2014
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    no, none of that it was a small trailer with the vines of our old tomatoes plants

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    If they are about a week old, I think they are OK. Crack them open on a frying pan, and if they look normal, then I would think they are good. Eggs have this coating that keeps bacteria out naturally. Once you wash them, then the coating is gone. You may get conflicting opinions from other peeps here. So do what you feel is right. When I found a batch of eggs that one of my little banties was laying in secret. There were about a dozen. That means they were there at least 2 weeks. This is what I did. I boiled them all and fed them back to my chickens. As I cracked them open, I was able to see that all eggs looked good. Some were at least 2 weeks old.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

5. luvmychix2014

Aug 1, 2014
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Thank you so much for all the helpful information it is very much appreciated as I and the hens are very new to egg laying and the rules!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by