eggs set 3 days apart

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wanttobefarmer, Jan 2, 2011.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Hello, I ordered a dozen eggs that didin't arrive so the breeder sent me another dozen. I knew she was sending them so ordered a dozen from someone else thinking they might arrive on the same day or so. The first dozen that was lost in the mail arrived and even though it had been a couple of weeks me and the breeder thought I should try them as I might get lucky. The next day the replacement arrived, and the next day the other dozen arrived. So I set one dozen in the incubator, then the next day another dozen and so on. I have 3 dozen all went in a day apart. tonight ( as they went in at night) will make day 20. my question is do I take all the eggs out of the egg turner today? It is day 19 and 18 for the other two dozen. Should I turn the other dozen by hand for one more day? The biggest question if I take the egg turner out and place them all on the floor of the incubator ( wich is what I think I need to do, Will it hurt the chicks from the last dozen to remove chicks from the first dozen after they have been hatched for 24 hours by opening the bator? Sorry this is so long and thanks for any quick responses.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I usually start lock down on day 18, so i would feel completely comfortable taking them all out of the turner now.

As to taking them out. If i were you, i would play it a little bit by ear - but plan to wait at least 48 hours after the first hatch, allowing as many to hatch as possible before you open the 'bator. Then, try to time the rescue of the earlier hatchers when the fewest eggs are pipped. The babies will be fine for 72 hours after hatch, so i would wait as long as you can to open the incubator.

Then when you do open it, you could do it in the bathroom with the shower on hot water, so it's nice and steamy and should hopefully not mess up your humidity too much.

3. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Quote:Thanks I think that is exactly what I'm going to do. I've already taken them out of the turner and some from the first and second dozen are wobbling already. Thanks again

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    [​IMG] Can't wait to hear how they do.

5. mountainwhisper

mountainwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Southwest Virginia
    Good luck! can't wait to read what happens with them [​IMG]`

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by