Eggs shipped in...baby diapers!?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wynette, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I received a small egg shipment last week, and they were wrapped in disposable baby diapers! I've never gotten eggs wrapped in diapers before, but got to thinking that it's a really good way to wrap them! The elastic sides sort of cradle the egg naturally, and the velcro strips are easy to seal and unwrap, and it's very sanitary. What a timesaver from cutting out lengths of bubble wrap, wrapping up & taping the ends!

The box was lined with crinkled up newspaper, making a sort of "nest," and the wrapped eggs were just laid inside the nest and more crinkled newspaper on top. All were intact.

Thoughs on using baby diapers to ship eggs?

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sounds expensive and rather wasteful to me!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I think it is brilliant and may work great but I have to agree with this post....

Quote:

4. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I think it if it works then why not? Any leakage would be absorbed rather than contaminate the other eggs so that is a plus. And although I doubt anyone would reuse the diapers for their child I know alot of little girls who would love to have them for their baby dolls.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Sounds expensive to me too. What does a package of disposable diapers go for these days? I always used cloth diapers on my babies due to the expense of disposable and also the environmental impact. However I guess you could save the diapers from shipping and reuse them?

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    My baby was a preemie and his diapers were tiny, perfect for dolls! He ended up being allergic to them so the neighbor girl got them for her dolls. NOW I find out I should have held on to them for 15 years to ship eggs!! SEE, this is why I HATE to get rid of anything!! [​IMG]

7. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Store brand diapers aren't *too* bad. You can usually get the jumbo pack for between 12 and 16 dollars. Was it one egg per diaper? THAT would get expensive.

Perhaps they were diapers that their child or grandchild outgrew.

8. Poultra

Poultra Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    I think it's a great idea if you have left over diapers that your child has out grown. I wouldn't go out and buy diapers just for that purpose, though.

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    The breeder said they were new diapers; I would not re-use them to ship eggs, even though they looked just fine. I always use brand new bubble wrap, I NEVER wrap hatching eggs in bubble wrap used for anything else first, just to make sure no contamination takes place. So yes, it would be expensive to use new ones each time, and yes, one diaper for each egg.

I hadn't thought of the environmental impact, I wonder if that would be more, less, or the same as bubble wrap? Good points you all make!!

10. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    if i watch the sales, i can get a jumbo pack of cvs diapers for about 9.99 (i think there's like 75 diapers in the small size)... so i guess it could be just as costly as bubble wrap.

that said, they are making diapers more "environmentally friendly" so i can't see it doing any more damage then bubble wrap does. i like the idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by