Eggs smell fishy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jenniferannmurphy, Sep 24, 2010.

1. jenniferannmurphy

jenniferannmurphy New Egg

Sep 24, 2010
    Hey there,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I've raised chickens on and off for about 15 years. Currently we have a flock of around 35 hens, around 5 roosters. About 6 months ago (maybe longer) I read that flax seeds were really good for chickens, so we went to Whole Foods and bought a bag of bulk flax seed and started mixing it into their crumbles.(not a ton just a handful per 2 gallons of crumbles) Not long after that we started to notice that the eggs were smelling fishy, both raw and even more after they were cooked. So, online I went and many people said that the Omega in flax seed could cause this. So we weaned them off the flax seed. Well its been about 4-5 months and they've been flax seed free, but we still get eggs that smell fishy. Any suggestions. I'd really like to sell our eggs but I don't have the heart to do it when I know there's going to be a fishy one in the bunch. We feed our chickens Dumar grower (we have a lot of adolescents still) it seemed to be worse when we were feeding the laying hens Pedigree Layer. They also free range during the day with our Angora goats. They do occasionally get into the goat food. Any help would be great.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There may be some omega in the feed, or fish oil, or something. You could have a very sensitive nose, too -- I promise you, I would not notice the smell. Maybe give some away and ask for comment?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by