Eggs smell "off" or "fishy" - is it the heat or diet?

fourgrotes

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
My hens' fertile eggs are smelling kind of "off" or almost "fishy" and have been for 3 or 4 weeks or so. I tried to ignore the smell at first but now I just can't eat them and its turned off the rest of my family as well. They are free range and have layer pellets & cracked corn in the barn to add to whatever they happily forage during the day. I put catfood out each day at the backdoor for my peafowl as they love it but have never seen the rooster or hens eat any of that so the fishy-ish-off-smell can't be coming from that. The smell has just been a problem for the last few weeks so I'm wondering if it's an effect from the heat (southern ohio). I've never had problems with fresh eggs smelling bad before. I collect the eggs every evening so they do sit for 1-10 hours in the coop, depending on what time each hen lays. Anyone else having this problem?

I suspect it's something they are eating. Possibly the cat food. I'm in Florida and we do not lack for heat, but if the eggs are gathered regularly it does not affect their flavor.

Back
Top Bottom