eggs soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensss, Aug 22, 2014.

1. chickensss

chickensss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    ok so I found out today that my rooster is now mating with the hens.. ugh. so does this mean that my hens r gunna start laying soon? and btw I know that hens don't need a rooster to lay eggs

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Most likely, the hens should start laying soon. At least within a month from now. Hope they start laying soon!

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Is your rooster just doing what he wishes and the hens are the unwilling victims, or are the hens giving a nice submissive squat as he approaches and willingly accepting his advances?
    Mating on his part is not indicative of the hens' maturity/readiness to lay - but their acceptance of such activity can indicate an approach to that point.

4. ironwingOne

ironwingOne Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2014
    Black Forest, CO
    I'm thinking it says more about your rooster than it does your hens, if you know what I mean. LOL

5. chickensss

Aug 15, 2014
    @Ol Grey Mare the hens don't squat instantly when he approaches them but when he grabs some of their necks, they don't put up much fight, but some of the others do put up a fight

6. chickensss

Aug 15, 2014
    hahaha

7. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I think thats "normal" at that inbetween stage. But if you think he's being too rough and your girls aren't ready you could always separate him a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by