eggs start at the same time?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muddipuppy, Sep 10, 2009.

1. muddipuppy

muddipuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    do you have to start all your eggs in the incubator at the same time? i have a forced air hovabator.

2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    yes because when it comes to the 18th day and you have to raise the humidity some may be on day 14 and you will drown them with a lot of humidity. I always start all my eggs at the same time so I won't have any problems =]

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Or...buy a second Bator to hatch in [​IMG] You don't need a second turner so they are not that expensive. Just make sure that you allow enough lockdown and hatch time between the additions so the hatcher is always empty when it needs to be. With this system I allow 5 days-3 lockdown 2 hatch works too good for those of us with chick addiction [​IMG]
    I have chicks hatching at least once a week right now...as soon as I have a few spaces more go in.The electric bill is the same no matter how many are in there SO Keep them full!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  4. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Quote:That is perfect logic. [​IMG]

5. muddipuppy

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    What about the increased humidity during lockdown? Isn't that hard on the younger eggs?

6. BlueEyesSmile

BlueEyesSmile New Egg

Oct 6, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    So, If I have only one chicken that I want to hatch from I store all the eggs from her until I collect enough to put into the incubator?

How do I store them then? and how long will they be stored until I start the incubation process?

7. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Quote:Look here:
    http://backyardchickens.yuku.com/topic/1604/t/hatching-egg-care-guide.html
    Also read the sticky post (it's the black one) at the top of the list of threads.

muddipuppy - If you're new to hatching, I wouldn't have eggs hatching on different days. If you're comfortable with hatching, go ahead & try it. The added humidity shouldn't hurt for a few days. A lot of people stagger hatches. It's just harder if you're not used to doing it.Also... I find it easier to use cartons when staggering a hatch. You can keep the different batches of eggs in different cartons. Easier to keep track of that way.
    [​IMG]

8. muddipuppy

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    thx, pagan. i think i'll wait til i have more experience. also, what about incubating in cartons? do you recommend this?

9. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Paganbird :

IMO... using cartons is much easier. It keeps the hatched chicks from rolling the hatching eggs around, helps keep your eggs organized by breed/species, makes clean up TONS easier!
    There's probably other reasons, but those are the main ones.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RedHead :

Those are the reasons I decided to do it, and I hand turned all of these all the way until day 18 in the carton and it made turning easier as well

That's what was just posted on my hatching thread regarding cartons.
    [​IMG]

10. muddipuppy

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    how do you hand turn in a carton?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by