Eggs starting to hatch

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NVRDUNN, Sep 30, 2012.

1. NVRDUNN

NVRDUNN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    We have 2 "free range" (in the back yard) ducks that seem to have done everything right. The female had started to lay eggs a month and half ago. We weren't sure if they were fertilized but she's been sitting on them so we let her do her thing. We just got back from an 8 day trip and her eggs are starting to show signs of the ducklings trying to get out. Seeing movement in one of them and the opening has gotten bigger overnight. Will see what we get over the next 48 hours. We're excited and the kids can't wait to see what happens.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Congrats and please let us know and as always there has to be pics. And [​IMG] what a nice thing to come home to.

3. NVRDUNN

Apr 10, 2012
    And the pics as of 3:20pm (Pacific Time)

[​IMG] Daddy
    [​IMG] Mommy & the nest

[​IMG] The nest

4. animalz11

animalz11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    QLD Australia
    OOOHHH!!! You should candle them! Then again, probably shouldn't disturb the nest. So if mum is a Pekin, what is dad (going by the photo)

5. NVRDUNN

Apr 10, 2012
    This morning my wife checked after I left for work and it looks like we have 7 ducklings that hatched overnight. We haven't got a good count yet as mommy doesn't want us to close.

Since they are outdoors "free ranged" is there anything we should do (any input would be great)? I'm guessing we should at least check each one over well and get a final count. Then do we let mommy duck take care of everything else? We have food and water close by to where the nest is, so we are assuming mommy will start taking them. My concern is at night it's dropping into the 50s or so, will mommy round them up each night to keep them warm?

Photos from her check this morning (cell phone pics, so a bit fuzzy):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    providing a safe a secure from predators house is a must. Please dont say you dont have predators, because they are everywhere, its just a matter of time before they find your place.

Think dog house style, with good ventilation and a door that can closed and latched securely. Food, ducklings should have starter feed available to provide the niacin and higher protein first needed.

7. NVRDUNN

Apr 10, 2012
    Good to know, I will get the starter feed. I may move them all indoors during the night then (so far the only predator has been a possum that actually got a couple of the eggs 2 weeks ago).

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Everyone has preds, just because we don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. i have a game camera set up in the area where my duck/goose/chicken houses are and I don't see these preds because they are coming around at night but I have on my camera, opossum, raccoon, and even though I didn't get it on the camera we have Blk bear, also bobcats and foxes and coyote, and now you have bite size food which will be easy pickings for preds, because mama and dad won't be able to protect their ducklings at all. How sad would it be for you and your children to come out one morning to utter carnage, Please put your ducks and ducklings in a safe house, garage etc until you can provide them with their own safe house,. Beautiful pics by the way, and Congrats!!

9. NVRDUNN

Apr 10, 2012
    Status update on the chicks. Got them moved into the garage last night into the enclosure we built for our 2 "adult" ducks when they were little. Daddy seemed to ignoring the chicks and stepping on them so he got to stay in the yard as normal. Mommy got to spend the night with the wee ones.

Stats:

Mommy (Cream): Pekin
    Daddy (Coffee): Welsh Harlequin Drake
    Chicks: 10 total hatched (3 eggs were unfertilized and one didn't make it out of the egg, the shell was crushed inwards in one location where I could see a leg. About 6 eggs were lost to a possum 3 weeks ago)

Pics of last night

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are adorable... Congrats!!! can't you find a large dog kennel to keep dad in so he can be close to his family and not be left outside alone? especially at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by