Eggs still won't peel

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrkep, Dec 27, 2011.

1. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    So the other day I boiled 12 eggs 1 1/2-2 weeks old, 1/3 cup salt in the water, after boiling ran cold water over them, then ice water, then refrigerated them,,, and still the shell brought half the white with it. So then I tried steam with another 12. Same cool down procedure, same final result. Now the hens and dogs enjoy these trials because they get to eat all the failures, and I suppose it helps the hens because they are still molting, but we (DW& I) really enjoy boiled and deviled eggs. So other than buying old eggs at the grocery, I am stumped. I looked at the eggstractor page, but if the shell won't come off, what a mess that would make! I have tried everyone here's solutions, just needed to vent a little.
    mrkep

2. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    Try giving your chickens more calcium (Eggshells?)

The thicker the eggs are the easier they are to peel

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  3. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    How old are the eggs? Fresh eggs are harder to peel than those that are not. I usually hold eggs for three weeks before boiling and then I don't have any trouble peeling them.

4. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    I put eggs aside and wait at least 2 weeks before I hard boil them. The other day I did a batch and out of 7, 6 peeled like a dream and one gave me some trouble. It seems very random, but older is definitely better.

5. T-Amy

T-Amy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    Boy do I ever know your pain! I did the salt method- not as much as you but I also immediately iced them upon pulling from the hot pot & immediately peeled them. I put some in the fridge but found that either immediately peeling them or using the ice method seemed to help. I didn't try doing either JUST salt OR JUST icing separately so can't tell you which of them works better or if it's the combo of doing the salt & icing/peeling immediately does the trick.

Isn't it painful to BUY eggs!? BLUCK!

Not sure if it matters the kind of eggs (I didn't look to see if you posted your hen breeds before replying) but we have a variety of hens & I didn't notice if any peeled better than the others.

6. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    Add a cap full of vinegar in the water you are using to boil the eggs. Seem to help ours peel easier.

7. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I just learned the steam method, & love it.
    Placed 6, 1 day old eggs in a steam basket over boiling water, covered. 12 minutes later placed them in an ice bath. Removed after 10 minutes. Peeled two right then. Perfect. Peeled the others two days later. Perfect.
    Did a dozen store boughts the same way. Same result.
    Hopefully my good fortune will continue with this method. I am sold on it.
    Good luck.

8. T-Amy

T-Amy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    OH! I forgot to add to my above note that I always also 'nick' the eggs ever so gently with a very sharp knife tip to let gasses escape- I suspect the salt water goes INTO the egg which may help separate the egg from the shell. Not sure but since my recipe of the salt, egg nicking, & immediate icing & peeling after cooking works, I don't dare NOT do one of the steps.

9. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I've been boiling fresh eggs (less than a week old - some only a day or two old), adding LOTS of salt to the water. While they cook, I prepare a bowl full of ice water - LOTS of ice. As soon as the eggs have cooked long enough, I take them out of the hot water and put them into the ice water. I give them only a minute or two to cool, and then I peel them. Occasionally I get an egg that doesn't peel easily - but at least 95% of the time, the eggshell practically falls off. I make deviled eggs all the time for various potluck dinners and for my granddaughter who loves them.

We just don't keep eggs around long enough for them to get older than a few days. I hope you can figure out how to make it work for you.[​IMG]

10. chickencrazylady

chickencrazylady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    Quote:I have the solution to peeling eggs!!!! My g/f told the trick and then I googled it last night and found the exact info that she had told me and I really needed to get rid of 2 dozen eggs!!

boil the eggs with vinegar, when hardboiled, drain the pot, roll the eggs around in the pot to crack the shell, if you can handle it, crack shells with your hands, THEN Add ice cold water and let sit, but keep adding ice water!!! Wail until the eggs are completely cold, the shell!!!!

I have been having the same problem until last night. Did all this with my 8 fresh eggs from this morning picking and a dozen from a week or so ago, didn't matter, them both shelled great and the white stayed intact.

I hope this helps, I know it did for me, and I made perfect deviled eggs last night!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by