Eggs Stored Pointy End Up.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Puddle Foot Farm, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    UGH. I just got home from school after leaving at about seven. I came to look at my beautiful eggs.. AND THEY WERE ALL UPSIDE DOWN! Apparently, my mom got "Flip all the shipped eggs over" out of "Turn the eggs in the cuboard on their sides. The ones from our chickens." I'm already treating these eggs badly.. They're not in an incubator yet because my other eggs won't get here, and they're being stored at ~67 degrees until tomorrow. I'm SO MAD right now! These are the eggs I REALLY want to hatch, and it seems that everything is against me..

So.. Simple question.. Will storing shipped eggs the wrong way up hurt them? Do I have a chance at this hatch at all?

Note: I had them resting the right way up from ~4 PM yesterday until this morning. So.. They had 15hrs of resting and being wonderful, then ~8hrs doing egg sac stands. -.- They're now back to the right way.

2. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    I think they will be fine, 8 hours dosn't seem like it would be long enough for the yolk to stick

3. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    When I got a recent shipment half the eggs were pointing side up. I was so worried, incubated and had a great hatch so don't worry and educate mom what you really meant.

4. Puddle Foot Farm

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks.. I just candled some, and I think I see detached air cells. Should I carton incubate them, then, even though they're in a still air?

I'm pretty sure a detached air cell is what I saw.. I've never actually seen one before, but it looked like it was just free floating around the tops of the eggs. But, is it possible that they're only partially detached? It looked like some of them were just moving around a certain area in the egg.. Or is that normal? I def. saw them moving as I moved the eggs around.

5. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I'm sure they will be fine. I store mine at 65 to 75 degrees for up to a week and still have 90 percent hatches with my own eggs. I don't know about the carton incubation with still air. I have only tried it in forced air..

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  6. Puddle Foot Farm

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I just found a unique way of carton hatching.. Where you cut out individual carton holes, so you don't move the ENTIRE carton and make the temp of different eggs different at different points.. You just kind of move them back and forth within it's own little hole.

I saw it on https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=22594-my-first-hatching-journey , for anyone who is interested. I never actually though about doing that. xD

They have another 24hrs until they go into the bator.. I'm practically jumping out of my skin I'm so excited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by