1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs, Strange but Delicious...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Kwartel, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I thought I would share some of the gifts that my quail have been giving me.

Here is the tiniest egg that I have ever seen, with a chicken egg and two other quail eggs for comparison:

[​IMG]

Here it is in the frying pan. I figured it would be all white, but it did have a tiny yolk:

[​IMG]

Here it is with a chicken and a quail egg for comparison again:

[​IMG]

Then I found this guy when I was making deviled quail eggs for the neighborhood Christmas party. I've seen double-yolked chicken eggs, but this was new to me:

[​IMG]

And of course, the deviled quail eggs after they were finished. Everyone thought they were almost too cute to eat, but that didn't stop them:

[​IMG]

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    WOW!!
    That is one small egg!!! [​IMG]

3. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I have had both the small and the double yolker. Still have to find the double yolker hen.
    I had one that was the size of a dried pea. It had a tiny tiny speck of a yolk. I don't know if I took a pic of it or not. Now, I have to go look.

Actually, I have never found a small egg from the Jumbo Coturnix, that was not complete, no matter how small. Now, I find that very interesting.

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Somehow one the size of a pea ended up in the bator.[​IMG]

5. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Quote:Actually I think it got feed to the chickens, and I didn't take a picture. I thought it was you know what, and left it there for a day before touching it.

It was so small, I had to open it and see.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  6. Agape Builder

Agape Builder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Young quail, especially ones that are just starting to lay eggs, will lay tiny little eggs like that, even the size of gecko eggs. They are okay. They just are eggs that were laid prematurely before they were able to grow in size. All female poultry are full of those little eggs on the inside. (At least until they get older and run out of eggs.) They just lay the eggs as they enlarge and mature.

7. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Ya, ya figure that out after a few thousand.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Oh my! [​IMG]
    I laughed my head off when I saw you had fried that lil' egg! [​IMG]

What kind of quail layed it?

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Oh my! [​IMG]
    I laughed my head off when I saw you had fried that lil' egg! [​IMG]

What kind of quail layed it?

I'd fry that little egg, too! Then again, I cook and eat my button quail eggs. [​IMG]

10. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Its a Coturnix, from the young White pen and it's getting bigger.
    Tonight I got an egg out of there, the size of a bosten baked bean candy. Uh huh, its getting BIG. I tell you maybe by xmas (next year), it would be normal size, let alone a Jumbo's egg. What happened? [​IMG]

Ya think I should put it in the bator, what day are we on - we're almost half way there, that should be all it would take. I might. [​IMG]

Oh my, I really need those small hen ID cages.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by