Eggs taken from a broody hen HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pywakyt, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Pywakyt

Pywakyt Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015
    Okay so I've been letting my naked neck and mini Cochin hen take turns brooding the nest. Or rather they've done it on their own, no help from me. So today I set up the bator for another batch and decide to see what going on in that nest since no live chicks as of yet. Anyway one egg on the ground and one egg pushed WAY to the side both VERY light, weight wise, and covered in feathers and old yolk. I figured both are duds but when I candled I just see black. So are they duds and should I just toss them? One of the eggs I took looks like it has no air sac and it's yolk just roles all over and the other has an air sac, great one actually, but I don't see anything looking even veinish or chickish in it. So with those last two should I still leave in the bator a bit and see what happens or are the both duds too?

2. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Are you able to post any pics from candling? If the shell is light enough to see inside, I usually see "dark" when there is a chick growing inside. However, even if this is the case if no one has been keeping it warm all this time and it is cold the chick may no longer be. Are the broodies rejecting the eggs now?

3. Pywakyt

May 11, 2015
    Not all of them, or even most, just those two

4. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    It may have been an accident or maybe they can sense something. I would candle them. If you have any doubts that maybe there is life, I would place in an incubator if you have one available. Otherwise you can try to slide them back under her.

5. Pywakyt

May 11, 2015
    I know they will push away bad eggs so when/ifbthey explode they won't contaminate the whole nest. I have twenty in a battle now but much like the bloody hen I don't want duds in there to possibly explode and get on the rest of the eggs. The lightness of them weight wise is what really made me wonder if they are duds.

6. Pywakyt

May 11, 2015
    Okay so the two abandoned eggs popped in the bator :(. But now im seeing that all the other eggs I set seem to have no air sac! What is going on here?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by